Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Seikai Wikia Page Developments

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2378
    Imperial Credits : 12828
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Re: Seikai Wikia Page Developments

Post by Almael on 10/6/2013, 8:51 pm

I've found a way around to get embedded font without using the original feature.
    And I didn't have to touch the multi-file and linking solutions. Very Happy
    It took some trying to get it to work, though. For some reason it just wouldn't despite no error.

I hit another troublesome problem, "animateColor" the way to change color has become deprecated and dropped by all browsers. The reason was that "animate" would do it so it was redundant. But despite numerous trying it didn't work either. As it turns out you need to use an undocumented usage of a rare attribute. Sad Great, just great.

Well, it's done, but I need to refine some parts. There may be some bugs left due to all the trials and and workarounds. It has become complicated due to the workarounds.

The worse thing is the timing part. For some reason composed timing doesn't work in a standalone svg. I tested that at the very beginning. So instead of needing to change one single timer, everything needs adjustment. Great. For the same reason my initial plans for user controls like a pause button had been dropped. There's still some similar annoying things I would like to resolve.

Really, svg is badly specified, implemented, and still not as well supported as hopped. No it's more like a crappy old thing than a modern thing.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2154
    Imperial Credits : 10093
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 10/7/2013, 1:36 pm

Looking good.
    So I take it that Spoor's first name of Beneej was from the light novels? I don't recall them referring to her name in the anime.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 10/9/2013, 9:04 pm

Actually, in the animation, Dusanyu, the crown prince, mostly addresses her with her first name Beneej. He only uses Spoor when it's formal.

-------------------------
    For some reason connection to the wikis is very slow for me today.
    Upload got disable for the backup for some reason. they had trouble for a while.
    Wikia won't finish loading the page. I will have to try another day.

---------------
    Anyway, the graphic size is a bit tall and you may need to scroll a bit. The need to scroll mostly applies to the first, the second, and last part and no more than twice, though.
    It's just about 250 pixels max you need to scroll up or down. The more important issue is that the animation lasts about 8 minutes!
    In part due to the timing issue and workaround, I had to assign 100 seconds for each part. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to create and test them.
    So there are some actionless seconds here and there. If only it were possible to define 'start-time + animate-time' all of this wouldn't have been an issue.
    But composing time doesn't work for some reason. It works for html pages, though. Then again it doesn't work for a wiki, nor would it in combination.

I used some liberty in interpretation for some parts, mostly it's about the placement or position of places.
    For example we don't really know where Operation Hunter takes place, or know the orientation of the map that was shown.
    There are references but they are by themselves vague, too. We only know it's near Dalmav, Vascotton, and somehow near the central sord group.
    From the game I know it's near Miofrantia. That's still true for either side of the Phantom Flame area. There's no telling.
    I was able to figure out the map's axis but I dunno which one is the x or y-axis. It's unlikely but I could be wrong by 90 or 180 degrees.
    The same goes for a number of Sords we know about. I placed them in the right vincinity, but still could be wrong by some distances.

SNS3 is not included so there's a 42 second long intermission.

The animation includes SNS5. Very Happy Here, it's less an issue of interpretation but rather the extend of it. We know Operation Twin Thorns hasn't been completed.
    We know large enemy forces in hidding are coming out. We just don't know where they all strike. There's lots of possible places.
    There's only one thing that's sure to happen. The primary target since ever, the invasion of the Ilyrs Kingdom.
    So the actions you see are representative of what's happening.

A lot more could have been done, and improved, though.
    Well, I don't think there are many single svg files out there that's better.

-------------------------
    Some details and bugs:

There's a bug I have to leave as is. It's another (Firefox) browser bug. I will call it "animation refresh" bug. It seems to apply to all animations.
    Once an animation command has been executed there's a time lag before it can be used again.
    The time lag depends on the type of animation used. The shortest being 3s and the one I give up and leaving alone is 8+ seconds!!!
    I'm sorry, but I won't mess up a perfect code just because of some crappy implementation to display animated svg.
    An 8+ second lag for animations with a precision that are normally down to a 100th of second is just not acceptable.
    And in this case it's just not worth the trouble. The overall animation is fine, you will only notice a time lag & double-execution of a sub-animation of some elements.

I'm sorry I have been ranting a lot about svg, but I can't find it in me not to. All of this is simply not acceptable and shouldn't be in the first place.
    All these animation problems don't "really" exist if you use it in combination with html or java or css code, though.
    It's fine for websites, but not for standalone svg.
    In a way animation svg files from websites are useless without the pletoria of support files e.g. MS's developer examples for svg are worthless by themselves.
    It's not MS's fault, they did it right from an overall programming point of view. It's just useless as a pure svg tutorial.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 10/10/2013, 7:48 pm

Alright, it's uploaded.
    I put it in the War article
    http://seikai.wikia.com/wiki/The_War

To watch the animation you have to look directly at the file. Normally, wikis don't show animations but a picture of it. Or use this link.
    http://images.wikia.com/seikai/images/4/48/Seikai-Warmap1%28animated%29.svg

There's a new bug for Firefox 24.0. For some reason things that are supposedly invisible are visible and things that are visible get randomly invisible. It's not restricted to animation only so dunno what's wrong. The very same code worked fine with Firefox 20.0, though.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 10/18/2013, 11:45 pm

I was surprised when I looked up Sobash on the wiki and it is stated that
    Morioka confirmed Sobash was a male.Shocked 
    Then again the dub didn't help any either...
    I even looked at my copy of the Banner I manga,but the uniform jackets make it hard to tell.
    At least we know that Ekuryua is female...er...she is a she...right
    Alamel?Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
    I mean all the time she spends crushin' on Jinto....
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/21/2013, 3:02 pm

Remember the Harem! Laughing

For some reason part of the Laburec Library got deleted. I'm not sure why, but it may take a while before I get to restore it. It's not the first time Angelfire did a purge I just hope it's not a sign of angelfire's end. So I've decided to move parts of it to the wiki. That's where I will put the work for now. As before both wikis are troublesome to implement the features from the Laburec Library. Actually, it looks like they will have to do without those features. Very bad!!

While checking I realized I lost some irreplaceable stuff.  Crying or Very sad 
    *Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war* Evil or Very Mad 
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/27/2013, 2:59 pm

I've been fast tracking some articles for the wiki and I'm going to keep doing it until new year or a bit longer. *shrugs*
    The thing about there being two Cots movie versions is true. I saw it, I had proofs. But since I lost the backup and their separate proofs from varying years .. I can't put up the proofs. The only things left are my review posts from AN.

We need people to work on the character profiles. It's not that I can't do them. I could just copy from the Laburec Library and be done with everything. But imho it might be too one-sided.

The serious articles I'm writing this time will be some ships (just to have them up) and more about the Abh systems/tech and warfare; since they are related.

Most of it will be on the shoutwiki backup, since I'm more concerned about the proper linking than on wikia. Besides my time is limited so wikia will have less of my attention.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 1/3/2014, 2:14 pm

Didn't hear about the movie versions of COTS until you mentioned them here.
     cat 
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/3/2014, 6:53 pm

I think that was before you came to AN. Since my own "newer" DVD R2 version doesn't have the original changes I figured it might have been the TV movie version or the VHS version. My VHS recorder/player is broken, fixed it two times already so it's beyond saving...

Anyway, I have been trying to work the wanted list on the wiki, mostly the military articles. I appears there's lots to cover if I go into the "theory" of space warfare, mostly graphical nature, thought. A bit of organizing problem to write it down and be concise. The themes are often overlapping between space flight theory, offense/defense... Half is needed to explain the actions and strategy in Bots while leaving the rest out feels missing/not right. Yet altogether it feels overdoing it for a wiki. I could turn it into some sort of handbook with more amazing detailed graphics, thought *Whahaha* The stage I'm right now is already over the top of what you may find on your regular scifi boards.

Feel free to discuss. I'm putting the work off until I find enlightment.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/10/2014, 10:11 am

Today, I'm going to turn in my resignation from the seikai.wikia wiki.
    I can no longer afford the time to work on it. However, I will remain at the seikai.shoutwiki wiki and expand it as far as possible. Eventually, I will have to leave there, too. I hope it won't be soon but it is inevitable that I have to step down. Naturally, I will be "around" but no longer that active.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 1/10/2014, 3:01 pm

Oh...too bad...but then I guess you don't want to overextend yourself.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/12/2014, 1:16 pm

I won't deny it. It was part of my consideration.
    I have always been a free spirit. Now that the wikia wiki has a new staff I want to give them the same freedom to develope and expand as I have. My presence and the authority I represent due to my activities and commitments within the community may have been suppressing the new generation of fans. I don't know and I don't want it. If there is reason for me to use authority then I will but otherwise I'm just another fan like anybody else. I want to give the new fans the opportunity to step forward and take the lead.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 1/15/2014, 2:32 pm

Sounds like a good reason.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/17/2014, 7:43 am

I'm gonna do a wiki marathon this weekend. Probably won't be done even if, I will do updates next. So I will be done with articles after next week. Then it's only about the underlying templates and features tweaks. My guess I will bust the 400 mark. With this I should have covered most of SNS4 & 5. That's about my limit.

Cots1-3, Bots1-3 have only the events and 3/4 of the major characters covered and about 10% of the side characters. This leaves about 200 side characters plus about 50 from the Danshou 1 & 2 + 50 other terms/stuff. Some more from the uncollected stories. That's a total of 300 articles worth + 400 =700. Not counting the hidden entries (50-100) I have collected in lists and some large gathering articles. Not counting the 200+ items in the franchise. It seem a lot of wikis have articles for each one. Dunno if we should do this. It's certainly good to have all the media, detailed info featured in them. Then there's the Baronh dictionary. It's worth it with the Baronh writing feature, grammar. At least 2000+ worth of entries not counting combinations etc.. Plenty of work left for future members to tackle.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/19/2014, 7:57 am

Ah, forget the 400 mark.
    It looks like it takes some more time and it's closer to the 500 mark.
    In any case, there's virtually nothing about the 29 families on the wiki -_-
    Well, it's not like there's no info. It's just kind of confusing especially the Abriels and their branches. With all their different titles, side branch titles, side branch names (known & unknown) it's a mess to sort out. Adding the different translations/interpretations... Looks like I can't fast track them even if I try.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 1/20/2014, 2:48 pm

And just how many branches are there of the Abriel? scratch 

I'm still confused over which branch of the Plantagenets were the
    White Rose and which were the Red Rose in the War of the Roses.
    (think the good guys aka Lancastrians were the Red but not sure.)
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/21/2014, 5:59 pm

Well, 8 main branches and about 1000-1000 sub-branches... but those 8 alone are problematic enough. We ignore the rest.
    I got about 60 (effective) articles left in my queue. As to the 160+ wanted pages on the wiki...there's no way I can get rid of them. The number has been stable between 150-180 since I opened the shoutwiki despite different articles wanted all the time. It was several hundreds before I could reduce it to that level... Me alone can't get rid of the wanted queue.

-------
    I simple remember/connect the white rose with elisabeth of york, hence, tudor. Everybody else is a red. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 1/22/2014, 2:46 pm

that's one way of looking at it. Very Happy 

I'd hate to see the Abriel family tree if there are that many sub-branches.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/24/2014, 10:00 pm

Alright, I have decided to introduce a strict convention in writing names within articles. I didn't want to push it trough before but now that the wiki has become this large this has become necessary to reign in the confusion due to various writings there are.

The article names will be either Baronh, most popular writing version, or all linked to alphabetical writing. I want to keep the Baronh option in order to use the wiki as a pseudo Baronh dictionary, too.

First for Abh characters the name in the infobox will stay Baronh as that's how they are supposed to be written.
    In the article, the alphabetic-pronouciation writing comes first; then japanese writing if any (usually for terms); Baronh-japanese-kana writing; Baronh-pseudo-alphabetic writing. And maybe "slash" japanese typo writing.

Example:
    '''Biboth''' /biboθ/, '''Bebaus''' (Baronh: ビボース Bibauth)/ (ビポース)
    Biboth is how it's really read (international/roman alphabet)
    /biboθ/ or <nowiki>[/biboθ/]</nowiki> phonetic writing
    Bebaus is the popularized americanized anime version
    Bibauth is the pseudo Baronh-alphabetic writing or direct to Baronh writing.

Because of japanese writing there's space for spelling interpretation...
    anything is subject to change. *sigh*

As good as all older character articles need to be reformatted... It's very low priority for me. I won't do that now.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 1/26/2014, 3:42 pm

There's unexpectedly bigger issues with the founding families than expected. I knew from the Laburec Library there were issues with the constellation meanings given by AN but the more important contents appear very trouble some. Except for two or three all constellation meanings appear to be wrong, several have incorrect japanese.
    Nearly half of the contents appear to be mixed up for some reason, or having same meaning but different wording. I can't tell the reason and I can't trace it back either. The order is the only easy way to trace but....I'm sure several are wrong but not enough certainty to be sure.

The good thing is I have japanese sources but not the original Reader's Guide source.
    So it's up to date but not original wording. I'm done but need another round of checking before releasing the rest.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 1/31/2014, 2:26 pm

What do you mean by constellation meanings? scratch 
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 2/1/2014, 9:10 pm

Just what the (chinese) glyph for the constellation means e.g. body. Many AN entries had the same or similar meanings which cannot be because as they are all unique. It's possible Morioka invented a reinterpretation but imho very unlikely.

Some unexpected things came up so I'm rescheduling things. Besides, shoutwiki got a new standard skin (look) with not much information yet as to how to modify it.  And there seem to be some differences within the engine that have come to light now...imho some modules are missing so code that works elsewhere doesn't work here. To be resolved soon (hopefully).

Finally, this would allow the Baronh code to work. Since java is bad and may be a security problem I couldn't use the old & well-proven code from the Laburec Library. And since real SVG fonts are not supported by anyone I had to code it with templates and use images. What a drag. It took more time to copy & past the images than creating the code. I had to split up the messy code for better optics and management, though. The basic code works, only the special smart part doesn't. Dunno why yet. It all looks perfect. The smart part isn't that necessary but it's a must have for human's sake. Even though, it can deal with any way of pseudo-alphabetical-Baronh writing I will have to impose a certain guideline. It will help the "correct" interpretation of Baronh to normal alphabet.
    Basicly, you write everything in capital except for some unique ones:
    o, e since these have different alternatives
    ai, au, eu serving as special pronunciation, writing with the alternative = direct alphabetical writing but missing the fanciness of it. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 2/3/2014, 3:16 pm

Well I haven't been to look at the wiki for a long while so I guess I might as well takes a looksee
    soon to see what's up.
    We had our computer off yesterday because the cable wires were down or something so weren't able to come on until today.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 2/4/2014, 2:45 pm

Well, I've managed to customize the skin based on best guesses since I dunno about the parameter names being used. The new skin having the side bars is bad for the background image since you can't see much. I could modify the image but since it's being scaled to window's size it's just bad depending on size. I wonder if it's possible to have different images for each side ... then it's better but coming up with a fitting design that's not obstructing the button etc. I think overall this kind of skin requires total customization for each wiki otherwise it will be mismatched.

Still can't figure out why the smart code doesn't work. The current code is correct but smart part just doesn't work. Any "correct" fixing I tried caused errors. It's definitely some quirk of the wiki engine I haven't figure out yet. With each wiki farm being setting up differently...it's not helpful.

Edit: I found out the counter doesn't work for the smart code yet it works for the normal code within the same loop.... scratch it seems some function call increases the counter without note. In the end the original code was correct after all yet still doesn't work. Duh. Doesn't make any sense.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 2/10/2014, 2:47 pm

I finally made a visit to the wiki.About time I did so,I think my last visit was a long time ago when you were first putting it together.So it was time.
    Loved the quote from Lafiel about there not being any menials but rather
    "an elegant princess"! lol! 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 6/22/2017, 2:31 pm