Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Moving the Board?

JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 667
    Imperial Credits : 7552
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Re: Moving the Board?

Post by JGZinv on 4/14/2010, 3:30 pm

I'm just doing a copy of C to an external, format, reinstall XP Pro.
    She's been in use a while, needs the wipe really.

Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 116
    Imperial Credits : 6477
    Registration date : 2009-03-24

Post by lymhfeubdach on 4/18/2010, 1:21 am

Just as long it done right.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 11
    Imperial Credits : 5871
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post by Duke on 4/19/2010, 2:44 am

Guess whos Back, Back Again. *cue music*

Anyways, if you want to combine all the forums and what not along with preserving the databases, let me do it. I've got experience with converting forums and merging databases with one another. What you should do, is supply me with a backup of each forum's current database. From there, I'll convert all the databases to the different forum format that we would be moving to (ie. PHPBB3, Vbullitin etc) and then merge them into one new forum. I'll do this on a test database on my own server. Once I finalize everything and get the forums working, we can then do a final database export/setup on the new server and it should be all set to go.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/19/2010, 3:07 am

Not trying to sound offensive here, but please refresh my memory on who you are?
    Keep in mind I've been up, like 52 hours and I cover at least 7 boards constantly.

Right now someone that could convert the boards in my place would be exceedingly
    useful and appreciated. Even in my half awake state though, a concern is always privacy
    of users information, and we're talking about a sizable amount of posts, and other data.

Hopefully that doesn't come off the wrong way. Just stating my concerns as I know AN had
    that big tussle between folks... which I don't think anyone besides those involved is probably 100% clear on.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/19/2010, 11:23 am

Duke from Abhnation! Hahahah~
    [My Profile there]

Forget? Me and Almael were working on the Seikai Wars Project for Homeworld 2. =P Anyways yeah, its been a super long while. I registered and never posted till this day! But I'm willing to do all of that if you are willing to let me take on the project~
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/19/2010, 12:37 pm

Well it's looking more as though we need someone to take it on if it's going to get done in any timely
    fashion. I just have no experience with it, and granted I can learn, but there's a certain amount of inertia we need to keep moving with.

Have you been able to read back through the thread to see what you'd be dealing with?
    I can't provide a database for this forum, it'll have to use a crawler script.
    The other two boards I can order a backup, may take the host a couple days to get me the files
    since they just went through a bunch of server issues.

My main consideration being that I'm waiting on Kazuki to give me admin powers. He's been
    off and on trying to edit the CSS so far.

Just telling you where were at right now.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/19/2010, 2:43 pm

JGZinv wrote:Well it's looking more as though we need someone to take it on if it's going to get done in any timely
    fashion. I just have no experience with it, and granted I can learn, but there's a certain amount of inertia we need to keep moving with.

Have you been able to read back through the thread to see what you'd be dealing with?
    I can't provide a database for this forum, it'll have to use a crawler script.
    The other two boards I can order a backup, may take the host a couple days to get me the files
    since they just went through a bunch of server issues.

My main consideration being that I'm waiting on Kazuki to give me admin powers. He's been
    off and on trying to edit the CSS so far.

Just telling you where were at right now.

Yeah I read back and saw what you were dealing with. 3 different forums of different typesish, and want to combine them all into one forum. Something to the lines of that. With PHPBB2 I thought you were able to export the database from the admin panel weren't you? Double check that for me. I'm pretty sure you are able to have the board back it self up to a .gzip or a .tar file.

*edit*
    Yeah I looked it up, you are able to do it though the admin panel. Should be:
    Admin Panel -> General Admin -> Backup Database -> Full Backup -> Start Backup.
    Should let you download it.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/19/2010, 2:53 pm

Two problems with that theory though.
    Forumotion (here) gives you no access to anything backup/database related at all. They've got a custom designed admin panel and by their TOS, own everything said on the boards. They utterly refuse to provide anything.

The other two boards are with invisionplus free hosting, but I can buy a .sql or .sql.gz backup of the database for $5 a pop.

The receiving forum is a phpBB3 type.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/19/2010, 3:14 pm

JGZinv wrote:Two problems with that theory though.
    Forumotion (here) gives you no access to anything backup/database related at all. They've got a custom designed admin panel and by their TOS, own everything said on the boards. They utterly refuse to provide anything.

The other two boards are with invisionplus free hosting, but I can buy a .sql or .sql.gz backup of the database for $5 a pop.

The receiving forum is a phpBB3 type.

Gah, thats no good. I'll do my best to run keep this place intact then. Do you have a well known script that can sweep through this place well? If not I'll have to dig around and see what tool to use for a proper "rip" of this place. As far the other two, that shouldn't be a problem converting them. Have you also considered using SMF? Simple Machine's Forum? I run it personally and find it to be a much better forum than PHPBB3. Its all up to you though~
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/19/2010, 3:28 pm

When we looked at SMF vs. phpBB3 - which was basically what we had choices of...

(side story here, originally DualFans before she died, was on a phpbb type, then we moved
    to a SMF just before the crash)

But SMF looked like it hadn't really progressed much since we'd seen it last in 2004. Development doesn't look all that thrilling either. By comparison, phpBB is already in the planning stages for ver 5, and they are working on 4 now. The forums also have a large quantity of useful topics compared to SMF.

As to the Forumotion script - this is what I've got:
    http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=861505
    That's the only one I'm aware of for Forumotion type boards.
    http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1761395

The latter link is for the main "crawler" thread... explains a bit more on them.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/19/2010, 3:35 pm

JGZinv wrote:When we looked at SMF vs. phpBB3 - which was basically what we had choices of...

(side story here, originally DualFans before she died, was on a phpbb type, then we moved
    to a SMF just before the crash)

But SMF looked like it hadn't really progressed much since we'd seen it last in 2004. Development doesn't look all that thrilling either. By comparison, phpBB is already in the planning stages for ver 5, and they are working on 4 now. The forums also have a large quantity of useful topics compared to SMF.

As to the Forumotion script - this is what I've got:
    http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=861505
    That's the only one I'm aware of for Forumotion type boards.
    http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1761395

The latter link is for the main "crawler" thread... explains a bit more on them.

Ah, gotcha, well, I'm still a fan of SMF either way. Haha~
    From reading that thread it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to pull everything. I'll take a look more into it when I'm home. Currently in the office right now~
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/19/2010, 3:53 pm

Technically I'm a fan of IPB... but the darn thing is soo expensive as everyone from AN knows.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/19/2010, 4:04 pm

JGZinv wrote:Technically I'm a fan of IPB... but the darn thing is soo expensive as everyone from AN knows.

IPB is awesome, but yeah you are right, it is expensive definitely.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2156
    Imperial Credits : 10099
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/20/2010, 2:42 pm

Sorry I'm late here but we had my sisters come for a visit last week so I wasn't able to be on.
    As far as it goes uniting all three forums would be the most practical thing to do.Especially for me since I am a member of both Kin of the Stars and Parallel Worlds forums.
    I guess I wouldn't have to try to pull people's legs here to try to get anyone here interested in Dual to go over there then,,,now would I?
    Oh and by the way:we are probably going to switch to Comcast when we finally get our new computer up internetwise.
    The one question I do have is if and when this happens will the current accounts be transfered over or do we have to re-sign up?

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/20/2010, 2:56 pm

You shouldn't need to re-register. There are ways of merging multiple accounts with one another. Worse comes to worse, then yes, you would have to re-register you account.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/20/2010, 3:02 pm

Some of the scripts I've seen have an issue with porting avatars or polls that are attached to threads.
    But as I said earlier, that's ultimately not much of a loss.

Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/23/2010, 1:43 am

Duke - I'll be straightforward, the other two boards are going downhill fast due to IP+'s mismanagement.
    I probably can get backups if I press the issue. They still function one way or another, but one of them is inaccessible via the normal url...so it's effectively offline to the public.

If you can do the job, then you're "hired."

I've got admin rights at the new location, but the admin panel looks rather sparse tbh.
    I'll try to have a look around it later tomorrow to explore the menus.

I've got another member at the Dual forum that knows his way around this mess, so
    I'll see if he can lend assistance here.

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2379
    Imperial Credits : 12833
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael on 4/23/2010, 2:07 pm

Most important to move are the post, not necessary the accounts. Obviously if the accounts get lost then nobody can claim them and the post link reference and names need be edited/changed to text-name or so...

I got my hands on some apache books now, so I can look up if needed.

@Duke: Welcome back and into a new adventure. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2156
    Imperial Credits : 10099
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/26/2010, 1:45 pm

So when is this big move going to happen or are we still in the hypothethical area yet?
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/26/2010, 1:53 pm

It's happening... but I need to talk with Nick and Duke... both of which seem to be
    difficult to reach in the last few days.

I need to ask about the error code that appears at the PWCF. AFC is broken since IP+ has a messed up database server. So I'm kinda waiting on that... plus I need to know some things on phpBB as it's setup on the new board.

Trust me, I want this done sooner not later... got mountains of stuff all around.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/26/2010, 8:13 pm

Yeah sorry. My subscription never emailed me that the thread was being updated.... hahah~
    Anyways, I'd say just wait till the host gets the boards working again before getting the backup. I'm sure they'll figure it out. I'll run the script overnight on the board and see how the database turns out for the boards. Let me know when you have the backups. I'll setup a test mysql server on my server to play around with the merging before we actually do it on the live server.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/26/2010, 8:38 pm

Well you can run the script for the crawler here anytime you want.
    If it'd help to lock out posting for a day, let me know and we'll just have it go on vacation.
    According to the crawler, the thing has to be set to phpBB3 mode anyway.

As to the new location, in the admin panel there's no access to the database part or skinning.
    From a stock install of phpBB is that normal or do we need to add some modules? Seems odd
    compared to everything else I've been on.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/26/2010, 8:57 pm

JGZinv wrote:Well you can run the script for the crawler here anytime you want.
    If it'd help to lock out posting for a day, let me know and we'll just have it go on vacation.
    According to the crawler, the thing has to be set to phpBB3 mode anyway.

I'll run it over night with posting open and we'll see how that turns out. If we need to then we'll lock it overnight or something.

JGZinv wrote:
    As to the new location, in the admin panel there's no access to the database part or skinning.
    From a stock install of phpBB is that normal or do we need to add some modules? Seems odd
    compared to everything else I've been on.
    For the database part, you should have some control over your database from the admin panel. I know that if you want to merge stuff sometimes you will have to do it in the MySQL database manager, like PHPAdmin etc etc etc. I believe you would have to install a plug in that would merge the boards correctly if I remember correctly.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/26/2010, 9:13 pm

I'll switch the board over to phpBB mode then. Let me know when you're finished.

Duke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Duke on 4/26/2010, 9:21 pm

So one thing. I'm setting the crawler right now, and the only thing I really notice is that if we have any "secret" or permission granted areas on the forum, they will need to be "unlocked" else they wont be captured in the crawl~

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 6/24/2017, 4:44 am