Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Greetings!

Valaquent
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 10
    Imperial Credits : 2992
    Registration date : 2013-10-01

Greetings!

Post by Valaquent on 10/1/2013, 12:41 am

Hello

I have to admit, Crest of the Stars is really quite new to me, but I am really quite fond of it now!

I was recently looking for a new show for my daughter when I came across the term "Space Navy" used as an anime genre. I have long been a fan of Macross, Yamoto, and similar shows, so I found it quite interesting. After looking into it, I discovered Banner, and then the rest of it, and I think it has become my favorite of the whole genre!

It's nice to see a community like this!
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2413
    Imperial Credits : 13121
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Re: Greetings!

Post by Almael on 10/1/2013, 7:03 am

Welcome, Valaquent!

Yes, it's one of the best space anime series out there. From an epic & universe point of view it's second only to Legends of Galactic Heroes. Wink

Our community is kind of special from the rest. Since, you joined a bit late you won't get to notice this specialty, though. We used to have hundreds of active members, and it used to be quite homely, if you know what I mean. Now we are all dispersed.

Valaquent
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Post by Valaquent on 10/1/2013, 4:08 pm

I have found Legend of Galactic Heroes to almost have too broad a scope for my tastes, and it's hard for me to really empathize with the characters as well. Something about the writing, I haven't been able to put my finger on it. These areas seem to be just right for my tastes in the Stars stories, and it's really refreshing!

I have seen hints of what the community once was in other posts. It sounds like Abh Nation was quite the place in it's heyday as well. I had no idea these had generated such a loyal following!

Are there any other anime that are similar that are worth recommending?
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 10/1/2013, 4:56 pm

Well, Logh is similar to Romance of the Three Kingdoms or War and Peace. Or A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones for a recent western version.

Abhnation used to have like 600-700 active members at a time from 5 or 6000 members. We here got sometime ago only over a hundred viewers at a time.
    There's still lots of treasure that can be digged from the discussions we got at AN. I would dig them up if I had the time. I did only a little and I know others did a lot more. This site here may not look like it but it got good stuff, too.

There aren't really any that are close or comparable to the Seikai series. Gundam & Macross & Yamato are the closest. As far as "newer" & scifi & somewhat similar goes there are:
    Toward the Terra

or similar in characters & relations & atmosphere:
    1/2 Prince; Spice & Wolf; Sword Art Online

There are a lot more classics that are recommendable, but more similar on the relationship sides only than anything else.

Fantasy: Vision of Escaflowne; 12 Kingdoms; etc...

Well, if you are more specific about preferences we can get a list.

Valaquent
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Post by Valaquent on 10/1/2013, 7:24 pm

Interesting comparison, to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I hadn't seen it that way before... I'm not actually a big fan of Game of Thrones, I have never watched a full episode all the way through, just bits. Too much early 21st century slop for my tastes, if that makes sense.

Newer is not all that relevant to me really, in some ways I prefer the older styles of animation, and I find the older storylines contain more substance with less of the aforementioned slop.

I did enjoy most of the Gundam I have seen (there is a LOT of it!), the older Macross, and Yamato (even the newer, actually, the live-action was even pretty good).

Mainly I was referring to the whole idea of the multi-crewed ship, like the Yamato flavor, where the story really revolves around the ship and it's crew as they explore, survive, and maybe even save the day.

I think that may have been a part of what I didn't care for in LoGH, just when I would start to get attached to a crew or ship the story changes focus again. But, when you put it in the terms you did, I can see I may an appreciation for that as well, I would just need to watch it in a different frame of mind.

Mind you, I was also not so much expecting an exhaustive list, as perhaps a notable mention. In the end, I really haven't watched a lot of anime overall. Smile 
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 10/1/2013, 9:07 pm

crew-team to the romantic side

Valaquent wrote:Interesting comparison, to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I hadn't seen it that way before... I'm not actually a big fan of Game of Thrones
    Well, the setup is not exactly like RotK. Logh has three factions and not the 18 provinces/Kingdoms of china that became 3 in the end. But in terms of politics, family ties, intrigues & complexity etc. I have watched Game of Thrones as much as you. Funny thing is the argument of some fans is that RotK is only about 3 kingdoms and not as many as 7/8 in Game of Thrones, and they say they know or nderstand RotK. *shakes head* Bloody noobs.

Newer is not all that relevant to me really, in some ways I prefer the older styles of animation, and I find the older storylines contain more substance with less of the aforementioned slop.

Mainly I was referring to the whole idea of the multi-crewed ship, like the Yamato flavor, where the story really revolves around the ship and it's crew as they explore, survive, and maybe even save the day.
    I have a similar view on anime.

ok, here's what I got; I'm sure I missed a bunch of good ones but I can't really remember all the titles. Most of these I saw a decade or more ago.

roughly listed from crew/team based to more pure relationship/romance Embarassed (some for your daughter in mind, too)

Starship Operators: kadet crew fending for themselves; there's another older show I don't recall now, something 'Revis/Ravis'; there's also a similar new novel 'Star command'
    Planets
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Tactical Roar
    Gall Force
    Geneshaft
    Nadesico
    Blue Noah
    Captain Harlock
    Crusher Joe

Black Lagoon
    Bubblegum Crisis
    Captain Future
    Angel Links
    Outlaw Star
    Zipang
    Xenosaga
    Lensman
    Lost Universe
    Vandread
    Eureka Seven
    Uninhabited Planet SURVIVE
    Blue Submarine No. 6
    Cowboy Bebop
    (Moretsu Pirates)
    (Submarine 707R)
    (Ozma)
    (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
    (Tytania)

Zone of the Enders
    Heroic Legend of Arslan
    Record of Lodoss Wars

Dirty Pair
    Kiddy Grade

Votoms
    Layzner
    Patlabor
    Last Exile
    Blassreiter
    Stellvia
    Mars Daybreak Kenran
    Voltron

Kimagure Orange Road
    Maison Ikkoku
    Miyuki

Valaquent
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Post by Valaquent on 10/3/2013, 2:18 pm

Three kingdoms was also not written towards the average modern short-attention span 13 year-old mentality. I would suspect on some levels, they do get it, but not so much the subtle or cultural aspects.

That's quite the list, thank you! There are a few on there I have seen before, and of those I recognize, they are one's I have liked, so I would say you have landed well in the ball-park. I'll definitely look into some of these.
    Jinto1997
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 11
    Imperial Credits : 692
    Registration date : 2016-12-23

Post by Jinto1997 on 12/23/2016, 9:12 pm

Hi just got into this recently just finished the anime two days ago and read the forth volume of the novel today. Glad to find people who are interested in it and look forward to talking with you.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/24/2016, 9:43 am

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are fresh I would like to use this opportunity and recruit you for the wiki. Your freshness and (untainted Very Happy ) viewpoint will help improve the wiki immensely. You can use thie opportunity to learn about editing wikis, too. I think this is basic skill these days like creating homepages used to be.
    http://seikai.shoutwiki.com/wiki/

We discuss pretty much any and everything in the Random thread so there's is no need to hold back. Just post and someone is bound to answer. We got people with vast knowledge to tap in and discuss all kinds of matter. I admit we got a lot of lurkers, though.
    Jinto1997
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 11
    Imperial Credits : 692
    Registration date : 2016-12-23

Post by Jinto1997 on 12/24/2016, 2:32 pm

thanks was thinking I could edit the jinto page and talk about what he does in the forth volume not much but it good start for an novice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 10/20/2017, 1:00 am