Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Random Thought

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2156
    Imperial Credits : 10099
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Random Thought

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/5/2014, 2:51 pm

I think that in the end Ukraine will have to cede the Crimea to Russia.I don't see the West doing much of anything except a lot of talking.Putin won't be backing down as he knows that Obama won't do much of anything to hurt him.I really don't think he's even concerned about
    having his money cut off by sanctions.Unlike Obama,Putin's pretty shrewd.
    He may simply withdraw the Russian troops from the Crimea after he's made his point that being even though Ukraine might be an independent
    country Moscow still runs the show.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2379
    Imperial Credits : 12833
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Re: Random Thought

Post by Almael on 3/6/2014, 4:21 pm

The Crimea voted yes on a referendum to join Russia. Of course Putin knew the result. Well, technically this secession is the same as rebellion, hence, it's called illegal. A local administration has no right to decide things on a national level. This case is the reason why there is a separation between army and police. By law and theory the military is meant to deal with this problem... I doubt the Ukraine can do anything without causing war. Besides men of unknown origin are sabotaging the ukraine military, blocking roads etc. just as predicted....

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/7/2014, 2:53 pm

After surviving another close flyby from an asteroid I'm ready to embark on a journey through the Galaxy.
    http://www.cosmosontv.com/
    if Fox messed up then ...then... Evil or Very Mad 

The moon lander Morpheus just finish the first flight test, too.
    http://morpheuslander.jsc.nasa.gov/
    Will it ever be used? Apropos, the chief aquisition manager just admitted the cost of the new bomber will be more. Heh.
    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/military/read.main/142816/
    We need it but why does it has to have cost overruns.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/7/2014, 3:04 pm

This is the same military remember that can't buy a screwdriver without the cost of it running into
    the hundred of thousands of dollars.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/9/2014, 10:10 pm

The real unicorn

Seen in the Toskana, Italy. It's a quite common genetic defect among (female) deers. For some reason I have only seen pictures and videos of unicorn kids and from Europe.

Cremia has been mined and harbors blocked. Anyone who's not getting away now may not get away later at all.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/10/2014, 2:16 pm

Can't say that I have seen any deer like that around here but it might be an even better explanation of the unicorn myth than the narwhal.I mean
    if an ancient hunter had seen something like that he might have mistaken
    it for a unicorn.

Putin isn't afraid of Obama,that's for sure.I mean why be scared of someone who just cut his own military budget?
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/11/2014, 7:08 am

Well, it still needs to be white! and it's mysterious how those country people don't know how to distinguish between a horse and a deer. It' like someone now-a-day can't tell the difference between a VW Beetle and a Citroen Duck. Then again unicorn originally were supposed to be man-eaters. *shrugs* Creation-story-wise it seems somewhat similar to the harpy?

Putin doesn't play a game where he loses. The budget request reports are kind of confusing, partly it says it's not as bad this time but 2016 will be.
    The AF spend 2 million for the J-book. There's a lot of redundancy organization research work. I mean planning operations all the time is part of the job.

----------
    @Alex
    After reading through omega-consulting.com.ua
    I think it's missing some courses: close quarter battle (CQB); and defense course with knife and other police equipment.
    The rest seems to cover everything.
    It's just the "custom" courses are what they are and not readily comparable to the military (special) courses I'm familiar with.

As to the rest of the website it's well made, although, not that many pages yet.
    ----------

Germany has published some new demographic reports on wealth. It says 20% don't have any assets, 7% have more debts than whatever they own. And the top some percent have more wealth than half of the populace. It exactly mirrors the UN report on wealth in the world. The top handful people have more wealth than half the global population.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/12/2014, 1:39 pm

Well I got some good news in the mail yesterday.It seems they settled the case I was supposed to report for jury duty for and so I got a letter officially telling me I was relieved of jury duty for now.Though it did have the caveat that in case there is another case pending during the month of my term I will get another letter indicating time to report.Since most cases in our county are settled out of court this hopefully means I won't have to worry about going to court for a longish while. Very Happy 
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 7462

Post by AlexT on 3/12/2014, 6:30 pm

Well, my optimism didn't work after all...

Some hot heads want to fight, there's thousands of volunteers signing up which are mostly patriotic ex-mils. Whatever tanks and missiles could be found are moving closer to south but it's all of little use imho...

The problem is lack of people, especially after revolution. Recently i had a lot of talks with friends who was in infamous "Bekut" riot police who opposed revolutioneers on Maidan and one thing I'm sure - those are not going to protect anyone but themselves as country they thought they protected betrayed them. Shot, burned, beaten people. Not a single riot shield left undamaged, armors and helmets in pieces. Can't blame them. They actually saved a lot of lives and took all the blame - thrown out, with no job and future. A country who doesn't value it's soldiers is doomed. Putin picked the right time indeed.
    Now new government is throwing money at anyone who'd like to fight for their asses, although real idea is to try to show Putin that we got teeth, a few at least. But the only capable peacekeeping forces are far from here and for some reason they're not calling them back as far as I know.
    The only chance is if Putin will keep it to "local conflict" with limited forces which try to look like "local militia" or whatever they call themselves now (we call them "green men") but even then it's gonna be a bloodbath
    Honestly - I myself not sure what to do. I feel like we erased one big mistake with a few new ones and the only hope left is elections which should at least restore some faith in democracy. As for Crimea - I guess we'll probably loose it. It was mostly consuming money, but was a great place to rest with unique nature sea and landscapes. But in the end - pride is what will suffer the most
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/14/2014, 2:11 pm

Well hurt pride is a lot better than thousands of dead or mutilated for life young men and women.
    Since from what the news over here is reporting the majority of people in
    Crimea are pro-Russian any way then it would be a good idea to let them go back to Russia.
    I don't see what good fighting a war over it would be.I mean look at the disaster of the last time a war was fought in Crimea.The only two good things that came out of that were the cardigan sweater and Tennyson's
    poem 'The Charge of the Light Brigade',which pretty much showed how
    stupid military adventurism is! Rolling Eyes 

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/14/2014, 2:43 pm

I had had some booting problems with windows in the past days I couldn't use it once it come up. The reason being that windows needs at least 50 MB of free disc space when ever it boots up. So even though windows may have occupied some gigs (supposedly free disc space) on your drive while operating it will freeze up. What happens is that windows will consume the 50 MB up to zero and then stops. The solution is to boot into safemode and free up a bit more than 50 MB. So. now I'm keeping a temporary 54 MB big file as reserved space in case I need to free up space in this case. Another related problem is firefox can sometimes occupy a lot of disc space, too. It used to eat up a gig or more until I disabled the cache feature. At times my system ate up to 8 gigs and still ordered me to free up more space... With Linux or old dos/Windows compo I could run on just 10 free bytes and fix things up. Now it's either boot disc or reinstall.

--------
    I heard someone already died...
    Agree. Just block the russians from going further beyond the island. I think in the long term there might be a chance to demand it back. Admittedly it's a small chance but in 50-70 years from now things might be different. I'm thinking of it being run down and all by the russians.

The Falcon 9 starts supplying the ISS. A new era has started....not that anyone cares.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/17/2014, 2:08 pm

Well the people of Crimea have spoken and it looks like the overwhelming majority perfer being part of Russia to Ukraine.

I saw in the paper where a 17 year old pitcher is trying out to make the Dodgers.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/18/2014, 12:15 pm

Putin signed the treaty on Crimea joining the Russian Federation. The question now is whether it ends here or not. He certainly would like to, just looking from a strategic point of view. And yeah some people are still complaining why china doesn't say a thing. Heh. They obviously didn't realize the similar problem with tibet or mongolia or malaysia or vietnam etc. China could or already has taken over parts of these countries.

Alright, rumors of these days:

MH370
    There's some rumor about it having landed in some -tan country. Well, I don't really believe this one nor the initial terror bombing. But I have long been figuring it could be used, modified and using some ID spoofing become someone's bombastic problem.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2014-05
    Gravity and the universe
    It appears the BICEP, the Background Imaging of Cosmic Extragalactic Polarization experiment, has found evidence of Cosmic Inflation. It would also be the first time gravity waves have been detected. One step closer to the next evolution in physics...
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/19/2014, 1:47 pm

In Seattle yesterday they had a newscopter crash.It was jointly leased by KOMO and KING-5.
    What happened was that it was taking off from KOMO's helipad and somehow hit the side of the building and fell crashing into some cars on the ground.
    They were talking on the Spokane news how something similiar had happened during the 1985
    Bloomsday when a helicopter hit a wire.
    They also talked with some helicopter pilots about what it was like piloting a helicopter.
    Never think much of how dangerous something that seems so routine like that can be.
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT on 3/22/2014, 11:53 am

Yea, Crimea have spoken - about 115% of people support Russia
    Unofficialy - no more than 30% participated and noone knows the real results. Even dead people voted so it doesn't matter.

Problem is - It's the start. Soon they will find tons of russian speaking people in eastern parts or maybe they'll just go for entire Ukraine. They already said that they think parts of Poland, Finland, Lithuania and other EU countries should be part of russia as well.
    History repeat itself - impotent EU gonna get it again, just this time with different Hitler

Right now there's a lot of anger toward new goverment because of inability to form any strategy and act.
    Meanwhile we loose more people to inaction than to russians. No clear orders, no tactics - nothing, just talks. Crimea ukrainian millitary bases scream for orders and support, but from what i can see - they were simply abandoned. I'm not even sure whom i hate more - putin or our command/gov.

The real problem is that russian use civilian idiots in Crimea who storm millitary bases while real russian millitary just watches. Should our soldiers fire at those people they'll likely will join the fight and then declare that they protected pro-russian citizens.
    With this tactics they captured a lot of millitary ships and honestly - i hope larger ones will defend themselves as they have all the rights to do so.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/24/2014, 8:39 am

Yeah, just what I thought about the voting.

The only EU country with any influence is Germany since it got the largest economic relation with russia more than all the others together. Nobody else has that much an interest nor want to get that involved either. You can't expect more than what's being done. And then in everyone's eyes the risk of losing is high. That's how politics is these days. Everyone is pretty much on their own unless there's some age old treaty from better times.

Yeah, I can understand your frustration. Due to the inaction I figured the leaders are using the crimea troops as distraction for the russian effort "to save their a▇▇▇▇▇." Otherwise, if you wanna "win" you would have retreated troops and material long before the referendum. But then again just like with the Nazis officers saving their men would be tried and shot dead for treason or undermining whatever. Then again where to find better leaders.... good people are rare these days. Even if there are some they likely get killed soon enough.

It's pure Putin sarcasm and shrewdness. Russia isn't better regarding neonazis or violence against foreigners. Well, fighting means loses of life on the other hand the ships could sink themselves like how the french navy did. No good choices left.

Right now NATO is considering Moldavia will "justify" a russian blitz move through the Ukraine, taking the south-eastern part in the process, too. It's possible but won't happen right now. I dunno about next week. It all depends on Putin. *shrugs*
    Militarily there's nothing you can really do to prevent it. The best option is probably mining the roads. Not that it would stop them for long, though. The area to defend is too large and other routs can be easily taken. There's just no good solution.

-----------
    On the medial front
    Ebola is raging on Guinea.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/24/2014, 8:14 pm

Sorry Alex but when you mentioned dead people voting I had to  Laughing 
    because it reminded me too much of what they say about Chicago elections.

As far as the whole thing goes,I read where Melissa Joan Hart,better known for playing Sabrina:The Teenaged Witch was wondering in a tweet why CNN was spending so much time on the lost airliner and didn't add any news about Ukraine.Which I agree,they've been doing the airliner story to death and no-one still knows what happened.Though personally I think it either crashed in the Indian Ocean or else exploded in mid-air.

btw:It's interesting that #getcovered isn't very popular.I read a list of
    instagams that were more popular and the #1 popular one was
    #corgiebutt.There was one about Obamacare that was popular as well:
    #obamacaresucks...makes ya wonder! Laughing 
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT on 3/25/2014, 3:59 pm

Spoiler:
    On the day that wall came down
    They threw the locks onto the ground
    And with glasses high we raised a cry for freedom had arrived
    On the day the wall came down
    The Ship of Fools had finally ran aground
    Promises lit up the night like paper doves in flight

Now life devalues day by day
    As friends and neighbors turn away
    And there's a change that, even with regret, cannot be undone
    Now frontiers shift like desert sands
    While nations wash their bloodied hands
    Of loyalty, of history, in shades of grey

It seem to quiet down a bit now, maybe because it became clear that there's not all that much support for Putin even in eastern parts, while amount of people ready to take guns and go fight russians is growing day by day.

Meanwhile new goverment finally gave a green light for desposal of criminal and radical groups who openly threaten people and refuse to lay weapons. It's a must because economy just didn't work with all those idiot "patriots" with guns running arround as people scared to do anything.

Guys, what do you think about Canada? I mean - economy, climate/nature, culture wise? They say it's a nice place to live in - not as busy as US, especially for wild nature fan.
    There's a few business opportunities in that part of the globes and if it works maybe i can try to settle somewhere, have a "second home", you know.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/26/2014, 1:46 pm

Yes,Canada is pretty nice place.It has plenty of wilderness,so if nature is your thing you would enjoy living there.
    Culturewise,except for Quebec which is where the majority of French-Canadians live,it's pretty much similiar to the United States.The fact is a lot of Americans tend to be ignorant of Canada because it is so much like the United States in many ways.
    Politically it has a parlimentary system that's different from what we have in the U.S.The current
    Canadian PM is a member of the Conservative Party.
    Climate,it's like the northern parts of the United States.
    As far as the people go,it depends.
    Though for the most part they are pretty friendly,especially if you go to the Prairie Provinces of
    Alberta,Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
    British Columbia is right above where I live in Washington State.There's a rivalry between Seattle,
    Portland and Vancouver,BC in the MLS soccer.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/27/2014, 8:10 am

Well, climate wise Canada is pretty much the same as the Ukraine except there are real ocean around it. There's more fog on the coast and in winter more ice shelf.
    Economically, Canada is on the rise thanks to new oil and other mined earth resources.
    Science/research/technology is also on the rise. Education level is good, too.
    Social/family commitment wise it's on the better side, I guess.

Alternatively, Sweden and New Zealand are somewhat better.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/28/2014, 2:14 pm

Here's an interesting bit that I think none of us has seen because of the Crimea and the missing airliner:
    it appears that the Italian region of Veneto,which Venice is the capitol of,has decided to overwhelmingly
    to secede from Italy.It looks like they are tired of having all their money being sent to a corrupt and
    ineffectual government down in Rome.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/29/2014, 1:35 pm

If that's done I bet the north will also secede. The north is like california for italy.

We got a new dwarf planet currently at 80 AU.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v507/n7493/full/nature13156.html
    It's only some 400 km large.
    Recently NASA announced the result of a decade long searching for planet X...saying there's no one within the possible range. Still it means the jupiter mass could be in numerous smaller dwarfs, but just not as concentrated.

There's news about MIT having developed a new safe means to surf and access net data online
    http://phys.org/news/2014-03-mit-mylar-platform-web-applications.html
    Well, it's not really that different from other "secure" approaches like say TOR that's happen to be useless nowaday. Besides it obviously use simple encryption, and saves encrypted keys on the server side. Key to all this is the user key. All in all it's not really safe.

NASA has put up a public voting for the Spacesuit Z-2. (until April 17th)
    http://jscfeatures.jsc.nasa.gov/z2/
    You can choose between 3 looks: Biomimicry; Technology; "Trends in Society"
    I'm stuck between Biomimicry and Technology. There's no gain with "Trends in Society". The electroluminescent (used as aircrafts positioning bars) isn't that illuminating but in space I guess it will probably be visible to a kilometer. But imho it's mostly there for ID and to illuminate the surrounding (and offering for the aliens :lol ).

Anyway, it appears the lcars community is gone after apparently a malicious hacker attack from a guy "Nabilaholic404" in September 2013 calling himself Indonesian but is located in the states.... Too bad, it doesn't seem like the sites coming back as the site contract is running out this year, too.

While looking for some props I found this fan-made rifle
    http://tactonyx.blogspot.de/2011/06/reserve-47.html
    It seems mostly based on crye associates MR-C & (whatever) pistol
    http://www.cryeassociates.com/12.htm
    http://www.cryeassociates.com/11.htm
    The MR-C appears in the game Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.
    Well, imho the MR-C looks nice but it's crap.
    Spoiler:

How would one design a loading mechanism to load a vertical round that is fed horizontally into a rotating breach?
    Obviously it all has to be done within a 180 degree rotation of the breech. Imaging a steam engine mechanism married with WWII battleship cannon loading mechanism.
    Too complicated, yet people seem to wonder why no one ever took up the design.
    On the other side the G11 was complicated yet a lot more advance. It also got a way to expel a misfired round while loading a new round. The user would probably not even notice it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Evers_HK_G11_Feed.PNG
    Notice the vectored dampener later furthered by the Kriss Vector design
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/12/20/kriss-vector-reveiw/
    Not to mention the G11 got 3 magazine loaded
    Spoiler:

Not to mention the G11 got 3 magazine loaded in the magazine well (above the barrel). http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j4U0zK3n61w/UGO8Wf3jqaI/AAAAAAAAKAQ/mdPHKUeAOc0/s1600/g11-4.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9o4vdjt-5rw/TZ006Ly5VgI/AAAAAAAAAxE/nXF3jz5qdy0/s1600/akg.jpg
    Anyway, the interesting part of this prop
    Spoiler:

is the bayonet replacement. Obviously some kind of ax, cable cutter and cable hook.
    I doubt it's useful other than cable cutting. A bayonet knife is still better. And using it to hook up and slide down a cable...I doubt holding to the hand grip is a good idea. Not to mention you got your hands full while being undefended. I would rather have a climbing gear on with a military hook. Then I would have both hands free while sliding.

There's a new Aliens game coming (in order to redeem the failure last year). Not much has been revealed other than it seem to be the same in regards to authenticity to the aliens world. I don't feel excited anymore.

Also there's a new Wolfenstein game coming with lots of mechas (a la anime & other games). It seems the makers want to generate a lot of hype. I dunno.

Edit:
    Looks like someone else also came with the same idea to employ the P90 magazin type for a rifle. Although, I had it for larger caseless ammo.
    http://sgcusa.com/ar-15-components/upper-receivers/pwa-5-7x28-upper-conversion.html
    The longer barrel should give a somewhat better range than the P90.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 3/31/2014, 2:13 pm

Scotland still has to vote wheter or not to remain with the UK,the alternatives are to regain national sovereignty i.e. national independence or continue with some more autonomy from London.

Sean Connery THE 007 is a big supporter of Scottish Independence.

It be good if they did vote YES on independence just to remind folk that
    Scotland is not England and never has been part of England, it's its
    own country with it's own history.

Remember Macbeth was a Scot and not an Englishman even though an
    Englishman wrote the non-historical and completely inaccurate play that
    has his name. Laughing king queen 
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/2/2014, 1:28 pm

Was woken up just as I was getting to sleep by a telemarketer from India wanting to talk about Windows, I said 'goodnight' and hung up after telling him it was night here.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/3/2014, 6:34 am

So much for MS not tracking you. MS has been trying to get people to give up their Win XP PC's for 100 bucks in return in the states. Pft. I doubt anyone still using XP would do it cause people wanting a change already did.

The recent shooting at Ft Hood is tragic but not really surprising. I have been saying from the beginning you can't sent people over and over to war. The saddest thing is of course the same people & families now have to suffer this unnecessary tragedy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 6/24/2017, 4:34 am