Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Random Thought

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2411
    Imperial Credits : 13115
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Re: Random Thought

Post by Almael on 5/3/2014, 11:58 am

He's busy for sure. He's supposed to be in Kiev but the way things are it's unsettling.
    Chaos just broke out in Odessa (on the west side). There's been lots of talk about (lacking) national identity and a divided future Ukraine but imho looks like talk from people not knowing a thing and or brought up by certain interest groups.
    All in all we haven't heard much from Crimea since the trouble in the east. Is it a diversion for a diversion, that is actually the real thing? Laughing

This years 24th Robo-One final...Robocop!!! and roost.  lol!

and some funny/good footage from 2010

Then I ran over this polish concept
    unveiling model

computer simulation demo

Whoa, we have been trying to design one in this 35t class for decades...but nada yet. Looks like a mix of various concepts from various NATO countries and japan/Korea. Some odds I see it's all automated and yet needs a crew of 3 people, seems like it has only a few rounds loaded (too few), limited active defense ammo.
    I bet it will run into engine/power/range issues, weight- and low endurance problems. If it gets into the kind of firefight like the isrealis do it probably won't last long.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2265
    Imperial Credits : 10458
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/5/2014, 1:53 pm

The entire country of Ukraine seems to be breaking up as we watch.Perhaps it would be best if in the end the eastern and western sides split from each other as I don't see anything that is going to keep it unified right now.

The Neocons here still seem to be overly eager to get involved. Evil or Very Mad 

Anyways:

I was watching a commercial with Kevin Durant in it and kept thinking:
    'Man!You really have the wrong uniform on there. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Maybe when the NBA returns to Seattle he can join the Sonics as an assistant coach as by that time I think his playing days would be over.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/6/2014, 1:12 pm

Yeah, looks like civil war is no longer avoidable.

Good one. Laughing 

'Nazi art' hoarder Cornelius Gurlitt, 81, dies
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27298832
    Looks like he died of stress, now I wonder what will happen with the loot.

Like the British Aviation the DoD is now looking at automated pilots, too, for regular transportation etc. It's only a matter of time until most everything becomes a drone.
    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=ec05065c1263d554e5b285dabef56c32&tab=core&_cview=1
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/7/2014, 1:43 pm

Robert at Robert's Anime Corner Store had a bit of fun with drones on his blog on April 1 when he said they were going to start delivering all their packages via drones. Laughing 

Speaking of Kevin Durant,they had really nice column about him winning the MVP in the NBA this year at
    Sonics Rising over at SBNation. It just shows even though we hate the owners we don't hate the players over at OKC,though we still wish the team hadn't left Seattle where it belongs.
    (They also had a great pic from KD's rookie season in a Sonics uniform,that's one thing Seattle beats
    OKC definitely:better uniforms! Laughing Very Happy )

ASFAIG: Yeah,Civil War in Ukraine looks more and more likely.Nobody's backing down right now and it looks like the Kiev government won't go along with the constitutional change that the Seccessionists
    are wanting. I really don't see either side being totally innocent in the matter though,although I am kind of tired of all the blame just being put on the Pro-Russians when the Pro-Kiev side has an equal blame for a lot is going on.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/8/2014, 8:20 am

Seriously, drone delivery is kind of stupid. On one hand they need to know your flat's position & balcony (no privacy rights). Then it's problematic to deliver into your balcony. Takes more time to deliver. On the other side they just drop it off and go. For example into your garden. Whatever happens afterwards is not their problem? What's when it's stolen afterwards (or before or not coming at all)?

Yep, it's decided the referendum will happen this sunday. And of course the separatists will win the election despite being a minority.

So now CNN & everybody realized that the Nigerian government doesn't do anything after years of all this happening.... Pft, just another example of social engineered & hypocrisy band-wagon thing. Geez, an islamic government in a sharia ruled country doing something against extremists....killing, and doing violence while no police ever moved a finger or even go on pursuit...and that wasn't obvious yet? Ya know, according to non-public statistics every 3 minutes "somewhere" in the world some christian is murdered. Wake up people.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/9/2014, 3:35 pm

Yup.
    It's not just that these people doing this in Nigeria are anti-Christian either,they're totally anti-Western.
    They want a country very much like what Afghanistan was like under the Taliban: no music,no women's education or any other rights for girls and women,no western videos,no theatres of any kind,no religious freedom,no free speech,women are chattel,strict penalties for homosexuality,theft,adultery,etc.
    If a woman is raped she gets stoned...that is what this group basically wants:Nigeria to go back to the
    7th century.

Now as far as Ukraine goes it will be interesting to see how the American and other foreign news services make the entire referendum out.

I don't know much about drones,do know that as early as the 1960s the Batman tv series
    used one in an episode to find the villian's hide out.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/10/2014, 6:36 am

Now, Amnestiy International has revealed the military was informed a day earlier and yet did nothing. SURPRISE!
    Well, if you actually watched the video they send out you would notice a supposedly government only owned armored military vehicle standing behind the leader. It's not just any vehicle it's the latest current issue used by modern militaries.

I think it's this french vehicle http://en.ria.ru/military_news/20110311/162951763.html

The nigerian president says once again they knew nothing and are doing everything etc. Yeah, I sooo believe him -1000%.

Well, it depends on how the powers that be want to deal with it I think either
    -the media will try to make the referendum a solved issue and move on. In a way deescalating things.
    or
    -just another round of talking

Hmm, I think I happened to have seen that particular episode in which Wayne build an RC aircraft and discussing something with Alfred.

Any way, ~young blood holds key to youth
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/science/young-blood-may-hold-key-to-reversing-aging.html?_r=3
    for pics go here
    http://www.dailytech.com/Cutting+Open+Rats+and+Sewing+Them+Together+Offers+Clues+to+Fountain+of+Youth/article34857.htm
    I feel a chill running down my spine. This shouldn't have been researched.

The Eurovision contest is happening this weekend and
    Whoa, look at that austrian performer Conchita Wurst...."Exotic"  Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/12/2014, 1:59 pm

Laughing 
    Well if anyone really believes the Nigerian President was unaware of anything then there's swampland
    in Georgia they might be interested in.It is interesting that it's gotten just about the entire country
    bothChristians and Moslems united over it.Everyone's basically mad that this happened and they're equally mad because their President doesn't seem to be or want to do anything.

AFAIG:They had their referendum in East Ukraine and the majority voted for some sort of autonomy.
    Everyone else is pooh-poohing the results.
    Mostly because there is no way of verifying the results along with the fact that most of the anti votes
    decided to stay home.Still since it apparently was a grass roots campaign...
    Yep,once again the U.S. and the rest of the rest seem to encourage such things but only as long as the results reflect their pov or favor.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/13/2014, 1:11 pm

Well, I foresaw all of this including the bad that would happen if Sudan gets divided back at Dual's if you remember. And that was about 5 years ago. I'm rather more upset about the hypocrisy then believing something could be done now or not. I guess expectations are quite low on my end. ...Duck Dynasty solves everything Laughing

I guess the media has become bored by the Ukraine right about now, not to mention nobody cares about the results. Therefore, it's about calming down now on the world level, although, the civil fights are likely to pick up. My guess is secession may not become reality unless Putin jump in action again.

And amazingly Conchita Putin won! For the first time (since ever) she won the competition for Austria again.
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 7694

Post by AlexT on 5/13/2014, 5:00 pm

Hi guys
    Sorry, was real busy and  kinda worn out because of all the recent "events".
    Well, it may not be as bad as elsewhere but now we moved from single tragedies to bodycount.
    The accident in Odessa was more horrifying than TV can show - 130 bodies, some burned alive, some with shots, but many died due to somekind of gas first? I'd post a few up-close pictures but i fear for your lunch. I don't know how or who and it what scares the most - was it russian secrets at work or new goverment with it's cia friends? Honestly - to me - there's not that much difference. I have no love for russian and Putin - it's an agressor, but at least it's been more "honest" in it's intentions. What fanatics do here is sometimes shocking even for experienced. And they are the only force in hands of goverment for internal affairs since most police have washed their hands as well as most of the serious army and only agree to work agains real enemy\outside agressor and for a good pay but Putin changed tactics accordingly. The roots of this "rejection" of new goverment by law enforces should be obvious - you can't blame police and put it on the knees if it only acted according to law/orders/statute when it's not convenient. Can't turn the law off and then on easily.

As for an army and anti-terrorist operation despite what you heard on tv:
    Most (99%) of people in the East are ukrainians - there's no russian soldiers there. This doesn't change the fact that they are terrorists\separatists though.
    Most of the "army" which siege those eastern cities are newly formed "national guard". Those are mostly idiots and junkies from Maidan. Regular army is in small numbers and mostly consist of "reservists" formed with guys who had some mil experience or received officer's education in university which was common some years ago (ussr practice). People with serious millitary experience are offered much better $ and all kinds of benefits. I guess they want only loyal people as their real fighting force. A friend of mine was summoned to millitary office in his area because he had combatant status due to his african adventures, but he only was a reporter in UN monitoring mission there. They only offered him money and asked to send any experienced people their way.
    So now it's official - mercenaries everywhere, each businessman\oligarh has his own private army, people with guns and stick may come to you as some business dispute etc.

So, we may all hate Putin, but unless he invades - he's the only factor that force new goverment to negotiate instead of just wiping all the competition and dissidents. And from recent news it seems west starting to change opinion as well.

As to your question about drafts Almael - it might, but i'm not in a database. Wink
    P.S. I should have set sail for Canada when i had the chance  Razz
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/14/2014, 2:11 pm

Nice to hear you're back Alex. Very Happy 

Yeah,we're only getting what the Kiev government puts out over here,so it is hard to tell what's really going on over there.Though I did read today in the paper that the German's have floated a plan that
    Putin seems to be agreeable to.The article said since it came from Germany and not the U.S. it's more likely that the Russians will go for it.
    I think the term 'terrorists' is getting overblown though and I personally prefer either Seccessionists or
    Separatists.

What I think is the most terrible part of the whole thing though is the number of innocent civilians on both sides that are loosing everything because of the fighting.
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT on 5/14/2014, 6:01 pm

Something to entertain you guys, a Dart Vader, the official candidate for president and mayor and his TV ad from Odessa
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxnXGxF-PBk
    Not much that needs translation I guess Smile
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/15/2014, 1:55 pm

Laughing 
    Good to see you're well and safe. We were a bit worried there.
    Yeah, we didn't see much about Odessa and very little of the worse details were mentioned.
    Now, that you've seen it for yourself that's pretty much how it is in many countries regarding "backstage things" going on. But we, the rest of the world, will forget it soon and all your claims/accusations will become just myths without any proofs. Especially, if it's against the powers that be. If your people want to proof it you gotta gather evidence right now.
    Germany is the only real economic partner to russia, or the middleman if you want, so they are trapped in a conflict of conscience. Well, the nazi groups and the current "legit" government aren't desirable but not everyone cares... Germany is probably the only one that seriously cares due to their own past. It probably would've been different if history was different. *shrugs* Any way, what we care is the renewed befriending of russia and china. We do not want that that's why the TTIP is being negotiated. Even though, Europe is going to be the loser of this agreement (max 4% gain) they'll agree or be made to agree.

Putin being "honest", well, about his his goals, sure, but he's shrewd, too. A respectable enemy, yes.

If you take Homs, syria, as an example.
    Spoiler:
    CNN declared peace coming to Homs some days ago. Well, the story is before the war there were 60-70000 christians in that city. Some weeks ago there were only 12 left and one priest from the netherlands of the brotherhood of the pope. So after he got two bullets in his skull, peace finally descended on the city.

----------
    So after some ships crashed there's a little riot in vietnam against the chinese. Now, chinese warships have arrive. As it so happens vietnam's famous harbor there already belongs to china, since they voted to secede in the 90's. It will be interesting even though I know the vietnamese government won't do a thing.

Interestingly, Bavaria wants to secede from Germany, too, as an independent country within europe. Looks like it's spreading.

Since, china said they would go help in nigeria we haven't been told anything else. I wonder what happened. I'm sure china is eager to test out their new stuff against "western" stuff used by the extremists.
    https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20140310.aspx
    Imho, the future of small arms will be "grenade" bullets (since expanding/exploding bullets are different)
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/16/2014, 2:10 pm

Germany wasn't really a country until Bismarck united all the various
    duchies,principalities,etc.into one whole during the 19th century.The same with Italy until Garibaldi.Even today San Marino is it's own independent
    country and recognized as such,even though it is within Italy proper.

I wonder when they're going to vote on the whole Scottish thing.Again this is entirely different from what else is taking place in Europe since Scotland
    was only joined with England in 1707 by the Act of Union.Before then it was it's own separate kingdom with it's own history and culture.So with
    Scotland it isn't really Secession or Separation but return to it's rightful place among the European States as a separate NATION.

And thus back to Ukraine: the main problem still being that the West
    really doesn't care that much about either side as long as the Kiev government that they've been propping up stays in power.And power is all that any of these people are really thinking or caring about.Nobody really gives a durn about the fact that a lot of people really do want
    either more autonomy or to secede or to join Russia.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/17/2014, 5:38 am

Yeah, the Germania myth and all but some people insist on their "race".
    And the latest addition being Lorraine who voted to join germany instead of france.
    I have been saying for years secession these days is economical suicide unless you got serious ethnic problems.

Somewhat related, the elections in India seems to point to the BJP party winning. Good news to people supporting the old ways and all (including cast system, ethnic cleansing, rape etc.) but bad for everyone else. If you are a foreigner there it's time to pack and run move. Anyway, if he does what he promised india is going to ruins. A pre-17th century society is just not sustainable anymore but then again about half the world kind of keep those old ways and thinking to some extend.

Well, at least it looks like the Ukraine won't get split. You somehow avoided the worst. From what I hear it seems the separatists are on the run and try to disappear back into the population as if nothing happened. Still problematic here and there but it seems over.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/19/2014, 1:35 pm

This might interest you, Alex
    A NATO reports is making the rounds with the media about the inability of defending the balkan states (Estonia, Latvian, Lithuanian) against russian aggression.
    Reasons are: not available western forces for deployment and zero NATO bases.
    Nothing surprising....but keep in mind those are NATO members. Even Putin won't challenge NATO by touching them.

Surprise surprise Anarctica is melting at double the rate
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27465050
    after finding out the same about greenland ...surprise! Well, it's not like I haven't said it would progress exponentially a decade ago. The report is probably a reaction to certain people blocking things last week in the states.

Anyway, for a while (some weeks) the fusion community has been saying they will get ITER done and make fusion available by 2047! Well, after nearly 40 years since the first modern Tokamak (JPL) & first laser induced fusion...I kind of doubt it. Then again many people have been accusing them of dragging things for their own benefit. If we take the supercoliders as an example they went through 3-4 generations within the same time span and those were big plus the detectors were huge and lot more complicated.
    Now, the Stellarator "Wendelstein 7-X" is about to go online. A Stellarator uses special designed magnet segments (each different) in a toroid setup. It's the solution to the problems found in the 50/60's!
    I guess now that we are closing on the total resource crisis perhaps things are going to pace up on fusion research.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/19/2014, 2:11 pm

We have a man in our church who is crazy about astronomy and goes to all these astronomy gatherings all the time.He also hosts astronomy meetings at his house about once a month in the Spring and Summer.
    Never been to one myself though.
    This month he has a special guest who won the reality series called:
    King of the Nerds or something like that,ever hear of it Almael?
    She's scheduled to talk about Mars...No! Laughing Not THAT Mars,the
    leggy Senshi of Fire! Laughing The PLANET Mars.
    I wish I had a Sailor Mars plushie now then I would sign up and take her with me...that be fun!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
    Seriously though June is the only time where he doesn't have a gathering scheduled,though not all of them are astronomy related sometime they just watch a Sci Fi movie.
    I've been over a couple of times,they have a really nice big screen tv.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/21/2014, 1:56 pm

Looks like Thailand is another country having political problems.The
    Military has declared Martial Law and are talking about censoring the papers,internet,etc.Though from what I read in the paper most people in
    Bangkok are going about their normal lives,so far it looks like the calm before the storm.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/22/2014, 7:25 am

Laughing 
    KoN: I think it heard about it before but never lasted in memory. Besides The terms has become popular and popped up a lot these days... *shrugs*

Well, it's a science so most of the time it's boring hard work but the discovery/eureka moment are worth it. Anyway, such session are mostly about meteorites anyway unless you got an observatory at your disposal...like where I live (some ways off, though)

That's what they get for endless (moody/popular) protest without any real plan or real options. And once again they got a military coup. What they really need do is get rid of the godly monarchy, first. Build some real industry. Reform social system & education and grow the next generation of able people. Not gonna happen for the next 50 years.

Hoverbikes
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/california-company-aerofex-accepting-preorders-for-85000-hoverbikes/
    I thought this made the news several months ago or last year... *shrugs*
    I think this one is a better option to flying cars and the helicopter being smaller, flying lower/safer etc. but flying will always be more energy inefficient than wheel based vehicles. Until we get an evolution in power generation (fusion) this isn't something for average joe. I can imaging some kind of adventure/experience business (a la Star Wars), though.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/23/2014, 2:06 pm

Reason Online called coups the national sport of Thailand. Laughing 

I think the most reasonable thing would be to experiment with jetpacks again,like they had on
    Lost In Space and that one episode of Gilligan's Island.May not work but probably
    more likely than hoverbikes or flying cars.

Then again I'm not a techie.

I suppose you heard about the various ideas people have of replacing passwords on the internet.
    On the CBS Evening News yesterday they talked about a couple of the lame passwords some people use,such as 123456 and Password.That reminds me of the episode of 3rd Rock From The Sun
    where Dick gets an ATM card and basically says his password out loud:"1234!" Laughing

Really?! even a non-techie like me isn't that stupid. 
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT on 5/23/2014, 5:52 pm

Dunno if we avoided the worst, but yeah - Puting would meet no serious resistance here, not from official "forces" at least. Arming idiots with guns doesn't make them more skilled no matter how much equipment they put on themselves to look badass.
    Here, a first-person experience for you to get a feel how it's like in here Smile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxWNtJq_qM
    It's how friendly fire happens when people are idiots and can't coordinate their moves with HQ

As for situation overall - it actually feels like "silent" civil war, because there are armed people from both sides and people who support them. Most people support pro-ukrainian forces even though they doubt new "US approved" goverment and there's those who support pro-russian terrorists. It's truly mutual antipathy.

The activity have increased lately. Russia still do not openly interfere, but they do send tons of infantry weapons. The terrorists starting to lack menpower and support among natives is not as great as they hoped. They will be dealt with if nothing major happens.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/24/2014, 4:58 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:his password out loud:"1234!" Laughing
    Pretty much all common password variations have released for at least two years. Many people have changed to different (yet equally) common passwords. It's commonly said you should used signs & capital variations etc. but that actually makes it easier to crack than language based ones. (randomness is easier because comps go through them in a (quick-) search filter patterns) As I said before people can't remember long ones so in practice it's all useless after a while. It's quite easier than cracking encryption or even a language... I never have felt challenged.
    There are programs that crack these in seconds or minutes (faster with human support).

AlexT wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxWNtJq_qM

As for situation overall - it actually feels like "silent" civil war
    Whoa, funny and scary. He didn't even aim just like in shooter games but there's no targeting cross in the center of your vision in reality. Laughing

Yeah, the situation feels unreal like in some novels about war as a game to entertain the populace. And I don't mean the recent Hunting Game but novels from the 50/60/70's.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/26/2014, 1:40 pm

Now that the Ukraine election has ended it looks like Putin gives in by recognizing it.
    That certainly looks good for now...As to the new President I dunno, it didn't look like there was much choice there.

And then there's the EU getting one step closer to the 4th Reich. The Rise of the 4th Reich is about to happen (in ~10 years)! Bets are on Paris becoming the center of the new european Empire.
    Well, I hope not but the odds shifted closer towards that direction. It has been going on for the past two decades but this time is definitely another milestone.

-------------
    Disease rides on the wind!
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/05/mysterious-disease-rides-on-the-winds-across-the-pacific-ocean/
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/05/14/1400380111
    Was about time the article appeared after making so much wind last year about global wind. The data, however, looks too much fitting... and fungus....
    These kind of things have been going on forever and we know this from history & tales so this "new" appearance blamed on non-man-made fungus...there's still a lot needing verification.

AKB48 got attacked! with a saw
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27572723
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/26/2014, 3:36 pm

Well it does seem the candidate that won was more to Putin's liking to begin with,also he seems to be a bit more concilatory toward Russia
    and the separatists.Hopefully the fighting will die down and they can come to some sort of compromise.

I don't know if we should worry about a 4th Reich in Europe right now as I read in the paper that there seems to be a resurgent in anti-EU parties in various member countries.One party in Germany even wants to get rid of the Euro.

Been reading a book that is made up of various primary sources from the
    Civil War including first hand eye witness accounts. Cool 
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/28/2014, 6:50 am

Nah, that's just the popular band wagon they jump on used to their political ends.
    The fact remains the brown force keep a tight relationship throughout the EU since some decade ago.

"Are you from Earth"
    http://www.space.com/26018-are-you-from-earth-the-signal-trailer-reveals-mysterious-plot-video.html
    Really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 10/18/2017, 2:14 pm