Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Live Actions & JDorama Review & discussion

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2439
    Imperial Credits : 13269
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Re: Live Actions & JDorama Review & discussion

Post by Almael on 3/29/2017, 7:49 pm

Kimi wa petto/You're my pet

Type: live action
    Genre: romance, comedy
    Year: 2003

Introduction:
    After the manga of the same name (Kimi wa petto/Tramps Like Us) by Yayoi Ogawa.
    This is not the new drama airing now (Feb. 2017) or the korean show & movie of the same name.

Synopsis:
    Due her past Iwaya Sumire has become a strong, independent, emancipated career woman. Her social shortcomings have led to relationship failures and workplace troubles. One bad day, Iwaya finds a box in front of her home. A badly wounded & sick man lies inside it. As it starts to rain she takes him in. After nursing him she decides to keep this stray dog as her pet "Momo". However, her "dog" is unexpectedly popular with both genders.

Critique:
    Koyuki as Iwaya Sumire and Matsumoto Jun as "Momo" Goda Takeshi are a good team but it seems to me their chemistry isn't quite perfect due to age difference.
    "Dog" troubles and other good actors make this show entertaining, amusing and enjoyable. The show features modern dances.

Verdict: 9
    Cast: 10
    Cast performance: 9
    Script/Directing: 8

I think I like this original best of all versions.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/29/2017, 8:04 pm

Oh My Venus [SKOREA]

Type: romance
    Year: 2015

Synopsis:
    Kang Joo Eun, once a much courted beauty in her hometown, is now a heavy weight attorney, literally. Her boyfriend of 15 years breaks up with her to pursuit for her (past) friend. Joo Eun runs into Kim Young Ho, a famed but secret personal trainer. He decides to help her losing weight in exchange for owning her body.

Critique:
    So Ji Sub as Kim Young Ho/John Kim and Shin Min Ah as Kang Joo Eun are a good team but I think the show would be just average at best without So Ji Sub.
    Although, the show brightens up with So Ji Sub I think it still lacks a bit on the comedy side. Action is provided by the training and -fights which led to a deficit of main actor plot actions. The show emphasizes diets and work outs or healthy life if you will. There's not much of an arc or overall plot, though. The show does have some minor story telling at some episode's end as a form of character status report similar to Desperate Housewives.
    Overall it's a so-so show but could be better. The show has nice but simple lyric songs with lots of saran (love). Too good for what the show offers.

Miscellaneous stuff:
    *They didn't bother to give Joo Eun real glasses instead she wears an empty frame.
    *The actresses' obese faces look very convincing.

Verdict: 7.7
    Cast 8
    Cast performance 8
    Script/Directing: 7

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/29/2017, 8:12 pm

Master's Sun [SKorea]

secretary's spiked attire

Type: romance
    Year: 2013

Synopsis/Summary:
    Tae Gong Shil suffers from insomnia as she can see ghosts. They ghost won't leave her alone once they relize they can contact her. Experience of being outcasted she leads a secluded life of fear.
    One day she runs into Joo Joong Won, a cold and ambitious CEO, who measures all human relationships through money. To her surprise, touching him makes the ghosts disappear. After realizing Gong Shil can provide him with corporation secrets from the dead victims of other corporations Joong Won offers her sanctuary while charging her a fee (very high for her, dirt cheap for him).

Critique:
    This show is more like a detective show than a ghost story or a love drama. Therefore, it does have an ample amount of actions and thrills. This show has a past related story arc.
    So Ji Sub as Joo Joong Won is stuck with yet another cool and cold appearing guy image. Not much acting for him in this show.
    Gong Hyo Jin as Tae Gong Shil is a bit irritating. While she represents a "duck" image her mixed cutie acting makes it weird imho.
    Overall the show is entertaining with minimum plot scheme.

Miscellaneous stuff:
    *Wonder Girls appear in one episode
    *dog scenes lol

Verdict: 8
    Cast: 8
    Cast performance: 8
    Script/Directing: 8

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/30/2017, 7:23 pm

Alright, my viewing plan this year will be:

Kinkyu Torishirabeshitsu/Emergency Interrogation Room season 2 to be aired in april; season 1 aired last year at the west coast e.g. channel LA14.2 or so...
    Code Blue Season 3 to be aired in july
    Hanzawa Naoki part3/Season 2 has been in limbo so I dunno when it's airing exactly
    Sanada Maru, since my hiatus last year I couldn't watch it all, so review will likely be late this year
    No plans for any korean show.

Only a few more reviews of older shows to finish the current topic blocks before I can finally watch something new. The really old ones will have to wait longer. Too troublesome to go back for reminders.

--------------

It seem the Wonder Girls are no more since this March. They died quicker than AKB48,,,

I haven't been following AKB48 much these past two years so here's some update.

Documentary of Mayu Watanabe (2014)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ik4wl

It appears Mayuyu got stressed and hospitalized in 2015 after becoming the queen
    As a result she lost favor & votes in the Senbatsu of 2016 (#3) & 2017 (#2). She's still the only one who never got lower than rank 5 and only who broke her leg and arm for the team. Sashi won both Senbatsus and is now pretty much the leading queen. Next year will be interesting.
    http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php/AKB48_41st_Single_Senbatsu_Sousenkyo_%22Juni_Yoso_Fukano,_Oare_no_Ichiya%22
    http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php/AKB48_45th_Single_Senbatsu_Sousenkyo_%22Bokutachi_wa_Dare_ni_Tsuiteikeba_ii%22

君はメロディー /Kimi wa Melody

So lets get some japanese variety fun performed by AB48 members
    AKB48: Girlfriend Queen Battle – Mayu Watanabe & Miki Nishino

AKB48 vs SKE48 Special Match | Sexy Battle [Episode 118]

--------
    CM (tricks)
    catgirl

chasing
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/31/2017, 6:50 pm

I have to correct the above post about korean shows this year. Descendants of the Sun Season 2 is supposed to air sometime this year but I don't see any date yet nor listed. And like Hanzawa Naoki the main cast will be different. So lots of people are skeptical...

--------------

I'm out of touch about AKB48 so I have no clue what people mean by saying that things have changed. Yokoyama Yui became general manager & captain after Takahashi Minami graduated. Nothing's in the wikis and the community moved while I was on hiatus, too.

WARNING
    *Elated heart beat rate can occur due to exposure to gorgeous women.
    *Relax, lean back and keep your hands on the chair's arms.
    *Do not watch in a dark room.
    CAUTION
    Intense graphics & awesome explosions may cause seizures

Be advised contains Pandora's legacy, apocalypse, fallen angel violence and angel's egg.

Cookies!

-------------

now to other classic balads and melodies

From the claasic Filipino "Mara Cara" show

for the Broken Hearted

A lot seems familiar but still nice.

Wake up your mind. Very Happy

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/1/2017, 6:53 pm

Recently, a highly hyped show called "The Legend of the Blue Sea" aired in SKorea. It has Jun Ji-hyun/Gianna Jun as the lead female actor (the reason people look forward to it). Well, after watching the first two episodes I got to say I'm disappointed. It is popular among Koreans alright. But
    * being cute doesn't fit Jun
    * the story is very ordinary; with escapes to the past to lengthen the show unnecessary; instead of going around to have the past incarnation tell a past story they could have cut there and only connect the past-past with the present.
    * too unrealistic and other crappy stuff
    I see no reason to watch further here.

----------------

It seems AKB48 has made a few shows and musicals in the time I wasn't looking
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow%27s_Blood another Hulu exclusive
    a horror
    http://asianwiki.com/Tokuyama_Daigoro_wo_Dare_ga_Koroshitaka%3F
    a bloody crime case

Majisuka Gakuen ~ Kyoto, Keppu Shugaku Ryoko [wrong: Kyoto・chifu shugakuryokou] ~
    everyone's fav
    I like musicals more than those bloody ones.

Majisuka Gakuen 〜Lost In The SuperMarket〜

lol

--------------

Since Tenchiforum is gone gotta link the "goose house" once more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJ8Qbh_LH0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXkhkEvNIM
    Yep, from animes I don't recall which ones, though.

-------------

More japanese variety fun: Escape the locked room (labyrinth)!

Last edited by Almael on 4/4/2017, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/2/2017, 7:08 pm

Btw.

Majisuka Gakuen 1 is now online with english subtitles!
    Members only! Need to login to see.

Majisuka Gakuen 2

Majisuka Gakuen 3

Majisuka Gakuen 4

Majisuka Gakuen 5

A lot fan creations got removed...

A lot of MV got removed so here's are newer links

Majijo Teppen Blues

Yankee Soul

Seishun to Kizukanai Mama mix

Sakura no Hanabiratachi

"flying get" mix

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/4/2017, 2:47 pm

Majisuka Gakuen ~ Kyoto, Keppu Shugaku Ryoko ~ stage musical
    http://shopping.akb48-group.com/dvd-bd/akb48_stage_majisuka/pc.html

From what I've seen so far it's better than AKB49 ~Renai Kinshi Jourei~. In part due to better members in the play like Tano Yuka who previously played Dorothy in "The Wiz" musical. Also the choreography is somewhat better integrated I think. The story is about them going on a field trip where Gekikara (Matsui Rena) and Otabe are facing their past. The play is set after Majisuka Gakuen 2 but is made after MG4 in the real world.
    And I just found out Matsui Rena graduated sometime in 2016 so there are only 4 old members left.

And there's a new sister group Keyakizaka46 of the Nogizaka46.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0uxXKTlebo
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/5/2017, 8:45 pm

Majisuka Gakuen ~Lost In The SuperMarket~
    is perhaps even better as it's not so dark. And Black is good here.

Tofu Pro Wrestling ep.12
    The show just ended the other day.

I guess I will do some reviews for these sometime later and talk some more...

Now time to get back on track.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 11/23/2017, 6:03 pm