Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Sandboxing

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2378
    Imperial Credits : 12828
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Sandboxing

Post by Almael on 9/24/2016, 5:50 pm

In the past I used to run test within sandboxes for programs or media (e.g. *.pdf, *.doc, *.wmv).
    Well, if you are hardcore you could virtualize everything instead but it's kind of a drag to switch.

Nowaday, computers are fast and RAM and harddrive resources have become plenty so I think I'm going to start running programs in sandboxes most of the time.
    So here are some advice or recommendations.
    I'm using
    Sandboxie
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie
    and
    Time Freeze
    http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/

Sandboxie is where I run the programs. All you need is drag the icon into it's window.
    You can create or set different sandboxes for different uses or programs.
    For example I have one for using the web, creative work, testing and gaming.
    You can install stuff and keep them within the sandbox until you decide to discard the contents (accessible by right click on the sandbox). This is really nice.
    When you safe stuff or your work you will be prompted and given the choice to recover( =save to your regular place instead of inside the sandbox).
    Time Freeze runs in the background, When you switch it on anything being done from then on will revert back after reboot (this is a bit inconvenient but as good as 100% safe).

The only problem I see is this may not protect against attacks on your bios or the boot sector of your harddrive.

As for system requirements there's none or not really.
    But I recommend to have at least 8GB RAM (no less than 4GB) and 10GB free on the harddrive (aside from what ever windows requires ~10GB) Even a 300 bucks computer these days is fast enough but faster is better.

For further readings:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/169139/sandboxes-explained-how-theyre-already-protecting-you-and-how-to-sandbox-any-program/
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 206
    Imperial Credits : 7422
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Re: Sandboxing

Post by spoor356 on 10/20/2016, 4:43 pm

Would these be useful to test out stuff in like Stellaris? I may be too inexperienced to know what you mean precisely by Sandboxing in this case.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2378
    Imperial Credits : 12828
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael on 10/20/2016, 5:15 pm

No problem. Just install within the sandbox. (drag program icon from explorer drop into sandboxie or right-click choose menu)
    Creating new sand box under menus: Sandbox\create new sandbox
    configure by right click on the sandbox, sandbox settings etc.

However, keep in mind that copies of any files of your system are made, hence, make sure you got enough space on your drive. If you use games it's not much. More likely you need lots of space for (large or numerous) save files.

For normal use I think using web browsers is most safe, but it's bother some if you regularly save files because you are bother to check whether you want to really save it.

You can always set it up to ignore and then manually access the Sandboxie\[sandbox]\...\[game]\save\ folder and copy whole things.
    If you delete the sandbox everything there will be delete.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 6/22/2017, 2:35 pm