Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Space combat?

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2393
    Imperial Credits : 12972
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Re: Space combat?

Post by Almael on 11/15/2012, 10:14 pm

Nope, pilots have their (new) face covers that can block bad lasers.
    Aircrafts generally don't have much armor and it's quite easy to flame them up with a laser than anything else as you got the necessary energy right there.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2209
    Imperial Credits : 10286
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 11/16/2012, 4:13 pm

Hmmm....wonder if they'll end up looking like Tie fighter pilots in Star Wars. scratch
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/9/2012, 10:25 am

Doubt it. Lasers are certainly good to shoot down missiles for defense. So even if it's not good for shooting other aircrafts it can offer great defense. In any case, it needs allround firing arc or simply turret type of laser directing. Due to todays aircraft design having a single allround turret is difficult without some bad compomises.
    On the other side the mathematical Tetraeder I mentioned a long time ago is the top ideal form with the least number of weapons necessary while having the biggest weapons possible.
    It's possible to reduce it to a triangle form for practicality and place the turrets at the corners.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_%28UFO%29
    See the middle main turret? Laughing
    On the other side the boomerang form had me pondering. It is certainly a form meant for a huge size with many turrets while removing unnecessary body volumes.

-----------------
    conservative F-22 performance analysis 2006 by Stevenson

2008 Pacific Vision RAND report

http://www.public.navy.mil/fltfor/insurv/Documents/INSURV_In_News/NavyTimes_INSURV-Reports-Should-Stay-Classified_%20Dec2011.pdf

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 12/18/2012, 5:07 pm

Surprised
    I feel a bit stupid when it comes down to it as unlike Shinji's friend I don't happen to be a military
    otaku so a lot of what you say gets passed me.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/18/2012, 6:27 pm

Alright.
    To simplify, imagine a pyramid with a triangle base. Now imagine turrets at its corners. In this setup it can use at least 3 of 4 turrets on any target at any position. In a straight line above a turret all turrets can be used. This means it has nearly 100% efficiency in using all weapons with the weapons being the biggest size that can be squeezed in. No dead weight/unused weapons.
    => Most powerful setup (independent of tech level)

Now it's not aerodynamic. So imagine it being flattened into the base triangle. Efficiency gets a bit less but still very high. 3 turrets can always be used, with the 4th only for the top&bottom hemisphere.

Now if you want more turrets you naturally scale it up. The turrets will be at the edges for greatest firing arc. However, you will have lots of unused space around the center. By turning it into a boomerang you get rid of that extra space while keeping the turrets around the edges.

I don't know if those ufo sightings are for real or some kids play.
    But then again - in simplicity lies ingenuity that's indistinguishable from primitiveness. lol! *self invented quote geek *
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 12/21/2012, 2:13 pm

I automatically thought of the opening scene from Star Wars,the original movie.

As far as the ufo sightings go,could be photoshop or as you said some kids pranking.
    UFO simply means 'unidentified' not extraterresterial.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 2/18/2013, 7:59 am

The development of military strategy and tactical doctrine on Earth is quite interesting. I'm positive the same development steps will be applied to interstellar warfare in some way. Of course we would be more experienced but technology will set the pace and step details.

Anyway, while the US military prepares for
    Global Strike capability from front line bases inside the country there has been a new line of thought coming from the F-35 supporters.

www.aei.org/article/foreign-and-defense-policy/defense/why-we-must-continue-to-fund-the-f-35/
    www.aei.org/files/2013/01/24/-mass-and-supremacy-a-comprehensive-case-for-the-f35_090544851556.pdf

In short, it says we gotta involve allies into future conflicts and not do things by ourselves (global strike). We gotta let the enemy draw allied blood to further allied commitment and involvement.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 2/20/2013, 2:32 pm

After the meteorite incident in russia the UN is trying to organize yet another defense initiative.
    http://www.oosa.unvienna.org/oosa/en/OOSA/index.html
    Before it were only some instruction manual, guidelines, and an
    ambassador for extra terrestrial contact.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 2/20/2013, 2:44 pm

Are they serious?Especially with appointing an ambassador to aliens? Rolling Eyes
    No wonder the UN hasn't gotten much done in solving the problems in the Mid-East.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/28/2014, 6:39 am

Aliens (the 2nd movie), modern weaponry and what not

If you have seen the Aliens movie you may have realized how well it's suited to make a typical RPG or table top game like War Hammer, Dark Conspiracy, etc.
    Spoiler:

Seriously, there are dozen of such games. What have been bothering me is how limited the Aliens universe was envisioned.
    Even the Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual (TM) is dissappointingly scarce on universe details.
    Imho wouldn't call it a TM at all. Most of it's content reads like a typical RPG Core rule book.
    And the technical part is writen as if from some enthusiasts. Thrown in terms that don't look like they were understood completely or don't fit the extensive description.
    The movie's from 1986, the book is from 1995 a gap of ten years. Yet the technology was at best early 80's. There's nothing wrong with that, though, as I consider that accurate.
    But back to the universe, there's only a bit of talk about how colonization went on and how space was divided but nothing else. Even the starmap isn't worth a look (if it is a starmap to begin with).
    All that's worth are the little character tid bits & tales and mainly the military related stuff. But fans created their own RPG interpretations and then the comics did their part.
    They are good except for lots ... jumble.  Still a lot of nice stories and there are well made universe description.

I went off course a bit so back to the combat part.
    Spoiler:

There's not much weaponry available to the marines. In the movie we got the pulse rifle, grenades, flamers, machine guns, pistols and shotguns.
    In the TM we got a sniper rifle added but no shotgun. Well, in modern times a shotgun is worthless against body armor and aliens have a thick hide that allows them to breach 2 inch steel doors....
    So the TM is kind of more realistic than the movie in technical/military terms.
    Anyway, as we have seen in the 3rd movie the corporations have their own well equipped troopers and all. Yet, the TM only gives us the marines as the only force defending mankind. And they are truely the grunts. Oops went off again.

Lets discuss some future weaponry.
    Spoiler:

In the past few years people have been discussing and the military has been investing in numerous researches about "new" ammunition and rifles.
    "New" because in the end they all ended with the insight that we have already had come to the same conclusions since WWII.
    It's just the higher up made bad political choices that forces everyone to do it again and again.
    So now the latest is wanting to really do full fledged ammo and not some hybrid solution because of not wanting to get rid of the bad rifles.
    The findings are that the next gen ammo should be in calibers 6.35 or 6.5 or 6.8 mm. But the recent general bias about stopping power has moved people toward either 6.5 or 6.8 mm.
    Well, I think 6.35 is plenty good with current technology as far as human targets are considered.
    In a world like Aliens and Starship Troopers where you got to fight scary bugs movies tend to go for the larger rounds.
    It doesn't really make that much of a difference in the real world if used properly. Besides chances that alien bugs are larger than an elephant or even dinosaurs are very low.

A lot of people are proposing to use plastic cases in order to save the metal, make it lighter and greener. -_-
    Plastic requires oil. It may be cheap now but the ammo we get now will still be used in 60 years when oil has probably become very expansive.
    And it's not like it's natural friendly especially the tough ones needed. There's no way around caseless ammo.

There's also the idea of having variable ammo around. The ability to shoot different calibers trough the same gun-barrel. Imagine shotgun-like ammo.
    Based on need shooting eg flechette against armor or larger rounds eg slug or buckshot. It seems not many get it.

Anyway, so the colonial marines got a bulky pulse rifle that shoots 10 mm bullets and 30 mm grenades.
    Spoiler:

The thing is in the real world the standard .50 BMG / 12.7 mm machine gun round is the ultimate benchmark for the foot folk.
    Note this is purely a western NATO bias where we ignore the standard russian 14.5 mm round. The russian round is double as powerful.
    The explosive tipped 12.7 mm round is the top notch representative of it's kind. It's termed High Explosive Incendiary/Armor Piercing (HEIAP).

(click to enlarge)
    it uses a pyrotechnical detonation train and is a further developement from the nazi-round

using a mechanical fuse and combines the scary explosive round of the Imperial Japanese NAVY

Of course these are against international laws but it's perfectly legal in the states.

According to the Aliens TM, the 10 mm round is an explosive tipped round and it calls it HEAP (High Explosive Armor Piercing). So principally it's the same as above.
    It would explode on impact to create a whole in the armor for the AP/Kinetic Energy Penetrator (KEP) to penetrate. But the TM says it penetrates and then explodes.
    This is obviously a layman misconception. The closes that comes to this is a WWI Armor-piercing shot and shell

termed Semi-Armor-Piercing High-Explosive (SAPHE)

So much for the real world technicalities. If our scifi pulse rifle ammo has any reason to exist it has to be at least on the same level as the .50 BMG.
    So after a little quick and dirty calculation it does so happen to be the case. That is if the ammo does indeed use "newer" explosives as listed in the TM.
    Looks like someone did the calculations for the TM or they got a good advisor.

However...me don't wanna bulky ugly weapon Razz An Abh needs an elegant, cool and deadly weapon. Laughing

Now that I got the basic round.

Next, there's actually a newer meaner round recently fielded called the "green" round. Design wise it's not really new but boy it's a new application thereof and it shatters international laws.
    It's an Armor-Piercing Hard Core (APHC) type (classification not clear yet) made of two parts. The new thing is the parts can separate (as opposed to old ways of keeping them together).
    And including the copper(?) shell that's three parts messing up someone's insides. If you aren't dead you will wish you are. With this stuff hunting bugs is no problem.

In order to increase hit probability there's this old SALVO idea where two or three bullets are shot with each round.

So here's the complete graphics including scifi techno-bubbles. Laughing

Inkscape is great in getting quick and good graphics especially saves lots of time for duplicates.

As you can see with just that the range of rounds increased to a handful.
    And there I wanted a one for all. *shrugs*

All in all I get a lighter rifle (about half as heavy) and better bug killing ammo.

----------------------

With this I went on transferring the findings and modelling my new rifle into the Jagged Alliance 2 game. JA2 offers a lot of simulation variables which works out nicely in modelling the gun. Of course as a modern system the rifle can be converted and use all kinds of scifi accessories, too. So far I wasn't able to test it all yet. It costs a bunch to get it! Anyhow it works fine.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 6/1/2014, 8:29 pm

The easiness of modifying JA2 is kind of fun so I went ahead to model another long  time scifi weapon.

--------------------------
    This was once my number one low-scifi-tech weapon idea based on plasma. The choice of plasma is quite obvious being in between kinetic and pure energy weapons. Another advantage is infinite ammunition (depending on the realization).

I have already discussed this at the Laburec Library but to make it short there are two kinds of plasma of interest. In short there are two kinds of plasma: hot and cold. Hot plasma is what most people know as plasma. Cold plasma is more like a soup of ions. It's generally obvious that ions having the same charge inevitable push each other away and hence disperse any plasma bullets after a certain time(distance). Therefore, cold plasma is the more real useable one for weapons.
    further it's possible to redirect the freed electrons back to the plasma at the end of the barrel and create a neutral "bullet". This is also what's being done for ion-drives.

The first step is to have an energy or power source (battery, plasma generator, micro-fusion). Ideally, my weapons run on micro-fusion cells that take air/water to power it and generate plasma at the same time.

Plasma can be stored in prefire chambers (serving as tanks). It's possible to regulate the size of the shot.

Pros:
    -Therefore, this weapon has infinite ammo and energy on a planet with O2 and water vapor.
    -Variable shots/power
    -as good as no air resistance, precise, range depends on speed
    -not loud

Cons:
    -It uses up a lot of air. You don't want to use it inside a space craft.
    -It over heats
    -a bit bulky/massive due to the accelerator (coil gun)
    -difficult to repair
    -visible shots (visible light or IR)

---------------------------------

The next number one low-scifi-tech weapon idea is the (shape changing) soliton (variable) mass weapon. Using physical tricks a solid soliton mass can be created and accelerated similar to a mass cannon. As the name sais the mass and shape can be "set" making it even more ideal than the plasma weapon.

It has to deal with the same energy/power problem as the plasma weapon.

Pros:
    -Variable shots: density & shape adjusted to target type
    -possibly infinite ammo like the plasma weapon

Cons:
    -same energy/power drawbacks as plasma weapon (using air)
    -It over heats
    -a bit bulky/massive due to the accelerator (coil gun)
    -difficult to repair
    -loud due to supersonic "bullet"
    -shots behave like normal gun projectiles

----------------

Variable weapons aren't a new idea at all.
    Table top games based on Mekton (Zeta) can do this. Mekton Zeta was created to model after anime from the 70's and early 80's. In the game system you can use the energy pool rule to create variable energy weapons. It's ideal and can do anything. It's only limited by it's energy content: you can have more power than what's there. Imagine the gun from Suisei no Gargantia, or the gun from Continuum only just better. Game wise it's difficult to create the weapon and research costs a lot, too. So only your super agent may have it.

Even though, energy weapons have infinite possibilities they are, however, not the most powerful almighty or scary technology there is.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 11/30/2016, 5:08 pm

While creating a starship test and creating starships I have come to realize a possible future Seikai story element.

The Blockade Runner!!

Since the Abh kingdoms are slpit now due to the loss of Lakfakalle, communication and postage and other important things of exchange need to be transported by blockade runners.
    As sords are blockaded and mines going through a blockaded sord is out of the question. However, reaching other kingdoms is still a viable option. Due to plane-space blockade runner have to be "light" to outrun patrolling assault ships and mines. Of course outrunning at "close" proximity is impossible but at certain distances it should or must be done.
    Well, plane space velocity and mass relationship is a mess given the data given. Although, my instincts tell me there is a kind of power law behind it I just haven't figured out the mechanics at work yet.
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 207
    Imperial Credits : 7552
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Post by spoor356 on 11/30/2016, 5:28 pm

Hello there,

I imagine in part that's what Jamupeel or Kotoponi will need to develop further on the fly. That or Dusanyu, having secured a Naval Base may start some emergency work on something to make an assault ship like the Roil-Class basically a giant armored but un-armed Calike.

So The Blockade Runners, or Plane-Runners I guess, would be an interesting concept to study further. How can communications or cohesion be maintained with three kingdom fronts fully developed, two of which are completely surrounded: Skiil and Kryb.

I would start there, how much more speed can you get out of assault classes, what could you strip to improve it's speed and hopefully soak a laser hit at least in order to fulfill it's mission if enemy fast-movers attempt to pursue. That's likely why so far we've not seen many Runners in the show or the novels, it's took risky or expensive due to risk of interception from enemy fast movers.

Sounds like a job for Ekuryua.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 11/30/2016, 6:37 pm

spoor356 wrote:Plane-Runners I guess
    Good one!

Since most of the kingdoms are large each should have enough forces to defend unless the alliance throws a massive force at them. The kingdoms probably cannot gather enough forces for an offensive and have to remain defensive. It's obvious this means loosing the war in the long run as the alliance can pick their target at their leisure.
    The only way out is to coordinate an offensive of many kingdoms on one of the allies.

So if the next novels miss this point it's bad.

Read on my analysis part in plane-space article of the wiki. All fact are there, unless something's in the untranslated novels we don't know yet.

Plane space velocity depends on mass of the ship and the resistance flow of space-time particles coming from sords. Engine/bubble generator power plays no role. The thing I don't know is the relationship between the resistance and mass (related bubble size or bubble area or whatever).
    So the objectives are:
    -smallest/lightest generator for the ship
    -maximizing "cargo" space
    -minimum normal space engines yet powerful enough to escape pursuit in normal space if needed.
    -minimum shields & armor, at least survive long enough for help to come if close to home or destination. At least hold out the 5 minute combat rule.
    -minimum range to keep fuel or propellant weight low, yet enough to outrun and reach destination.
    Thanks to limited communication range the chances are good to escape a patrol and not being blockaded head-on. You can't outrun head-on if they shoot mines toward you. So range for smart out maneuvering is necessary.

I've done this in some other games in the past. It's easy to out maneuver if the opponent isn't prepared and you got some distance and lag of (sensor detection) reaction. And yeah the enemy was 2x times faster and more powerful, too. It took me over an hour of mouse and cat chasing until he gave up. My advantage was initiative of changing course and his lack of knowing my course vector in time to plot his own intercept course correctly. This happened several time. I knew enemy forces were chasing me over three galaxies. They eventually caught my new secret bases months later.

The bigger lesson is once you loose the war and are running there's no coming back. There's no way you can realistically rebuild to power to compete again. Because in the meanwhile the large enemy keeps growing and advancing technologically. There's no way to catch up again.
    The time when you are strongest is shortly before the war when all resources and population are available. Once war starts it's a downward spiral of lousing them for everyone until the war ends.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/1/2016, 12:29 am

So if we take the Roil class as an example for modification:
    -removing the anti-proton cannon alone will at least free 10000 tons (most likely much more)
    -without the cannon there's no need for the complicated hull, merging everything into a simpler one, hence, reducing hull surface
    -removing one laser turret will save at least 50-100+ tons based on their size
    -removing all those weapons will free up x*10000 tons of support systems (batteries, cooling, control & safeties, high-power lines)
    -further the reduction of volume, hence, outer hull surface area will reduce lots of armor weight.
    -it follows the reactor could shrink
    All this could half the ship's weight. The problematic systems are the shield and thrusters. The shield system probably won't get significantly lighter. And it's probably a good idea to keep the same thrusters, hence, virtually all of the drive systems.

Alternatively, I imagine it's possible to create larger Pelia like ships and have them fly as a group. They could merge into one bubble to conserve fuel for long travel. And separate when needing the speed.
    Of course Pelia will still serve as really fast runner couriers for priority messages. Also it's noteworthy, there's still the Rool-class communication ship seen in Cots (last episode). I'm guessing it's a sort of runner, too, but with some transport (> Caubh class) capacity.
    For a spacefaring civilization with good access to space I don't think it requires large cargo capacity for a blockade runner (even if giga tons transporters are the ordinary standard). Certainly, there may be rare products needing the capacity. But I think secret/secure communication & postage is the primary concern.
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 on 12/1/2016, 4:35 pm

What game did you play where you did this? I would like to hear more about that.

In the meantime, as for the Abh losing the war, that remains to be seen. The duration has most certainly been lengthened by the strategic blunder of Snow Crystal; however, officer with initiative may be able to reacquire the initiative. The Empire; however, will be at a massive strategic disadvantage in the meantime given that at least one enemy fleet now can almost freely operate behind Abh lines.

Given it seems Kryb and Skiil are being engaged simultaneously, it would require Dusanyu figuring out which kingdom he wants to sacrifice to regain the initiative and knock out enemies one by one. Just as Hania traded space for time, luckily the Abh Empire has a lot more "space" to work with and trade in exchange for consolidating forces and knocking out the enemy nations one by one. Even with the Lakfakalle fleet behind, now that he's at Sotoryuru and has a force to potentially get back to Kyrb, the Alliance can't stop him unless they choose him as a target, they would need to give up the initiative to react to his movement.

Assuming in Book VI the following are true:

Jamupeel makes it to Skiil
    Abriel D. is not MIA, just was not described in book V, and is defending Skiil
    Kotoponi is only surrounded, not destroyed
    Spoor's fleet is strong enough to assault Kryb

The Abh have not yet lost the war, but they lost the timetable. Then again that's a lot assumptions. I'm guessing if any one of those are not true, or if the Alliance is in fact assaulting not only Kryb, and Skiil, but also the salients formed from Twin Thorns, there is no hope without the blockade runners to re-establish communications.

Time to hope Jamupeel is akin to Nathaniel Greene and Kotoponi is Anthony Wayne.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/1/2016, 8:00 pm

An old free online game "Warring Factions"
    http://www.war-facts.com/
    It's was a pseudo 3D game with open research & technology. This is still the best with no other game like it in this light. Beware once you play and realize how great this is you may get addicted. I don't know my password anymore so I can't help you. Beware there are lots of veterans, half are evil because they have nothing else to do so they tend to be mean as******. Other are great people. You will have to join a faction when starting. Because of this beware there's lots of (politics) intrigues, spying, tech stealing/black market, betrayal, large scale battle etc. I recommend to establish a base of your own aside from the beginner base somewhere far away so you will have room to expand.

---------------
    You got to consider politics, too, especially the Alliance side. The UMK will be compelled to regain its territory. The others are going to buildup more forces in part in fear of being assimilated by the UMK. The alliance certainly wants use and to cause more chaos to the kingdoms by raiding or attacking everywhere. It doesn't have to be big events. Just causing fear, panic and putting imperial forces into confusion or disarray.

Aside from reigning in order again the Ahh's priority will be to secure the borders and prevent further incursion. Which mean the all the sords from Lakfakalle will be blockaded and trying to cut off and isolate the Kryb invasion fleet.
    Anything else is up to Morioka but I think interdiction or preventive operation will have as much a role as strategic moves to cripple enemy military initiatives. So I think the Abh will fortify their hold on Kemal and Mairal. Losing those will be a critical loss.

I think Kotoponi's best option is to circum-navigate the center where I would expect the least enemy forces at the moment. And link up with the Skiil kingdom and Lafiel's father.
    Or may Morioka decides to send Duhiir to another kingdom such that a maximum number of kingdoms has a royal Abh in command. This is just for future story plot's sake. There aren't many choice other than to backtrack or link up with Kryb forces and cutoff the invasion force.
    So I guess these two are the only option aside from staying put and establishing a new kingdom within Hania. I don't know why Morioka offered only this option in SNS4 and not discuss or hint to more. Well, I guess the SNS5 translation will shed some light.

Jamupeel and Rakesh don't seem to get much limelight yet, although, they have certainly important positions for possible story plots. I think Morioka is a bit weak here or wants to avoid too many starring characters at a time.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

I think it could be a combination of the two.
    Verethragna
    Chief
    Chief

Number of posts : 27
    Imperial Credits : 1721
    Registration date : 2015-07-02

Post by Verethragna on 12/10/2016, 7:11 pm

Holy jesus, This post is big I will get to reading all of it...maybe.....lol, Anyways before any of this lets talk about the legitimacy of even using missiles in space Neutral? As far as physics goes would not using "explosive" based weapons in space be counter productive while sure they would certainly hit and do damage the amount of damage would be almost nothing compared what they would be able to do if shock waves were able to travel through space. In this regard kinetic weapons or lasers would be the most reasonable cost/efficiency wise.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/13/2016, 4:14 am

Since the creation of (anti-air) missiles the main killing feature is fragmentation or a chain.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous-rod_warhead
    A blast, frankly, cannot overrun supersonic jets.

Kinetic impact at some point of velocity overtake explosives. The downside is like with metal jacket bullets ... they tend to punch a hole through even if it vaporizes on impact (shock & debris still does it).

Energy weapons are best for "fast" shots but as I have pointed out already the energy amount invested for the same destructive power is the same for kinetic weapons. If you ignore waste heat etc. But you still keep the fuel/battery, hence, the ship is likely heavier than one that unloads its rounds.

I think at our level of technology plus a few more years lasers and kinetics are best. However, one important think about missiles is that thy can be fire-and-forget and like normal mines require an enemy to react. This means he has to spend resources, weapons, consciousness regardless of success. So missiles serve well as harassment weapons if nothing else.

spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 on 12/13/2016, 5:55 pm

In the Seiaki universe, fuel-propelled or projectile weapons like rockets, mines, or torpedoes still make sense since even if you do not damage a target, the debris from the destroyed warhead reduced the speed and efficiency of the enemy unit engaged in battle. Granted, whether or not the energy cost of carrying such weapons is worth it remains to be seen, though a handful of dogfighting Mankind ships with four anti-ship missiles seems to stand well against matched ships of Laburec type.

That also raises the questions of unguided projectile weapons and what conventions or laws govern their use between the Abh and the Alliance. If such weapons like energy rods or gauss weapons that launch solid projectiles were used yet miss their target "Physics Works!" as Walter Lewin would say, and it will ruin someone's, somewhere, day sometime.

Finally, returning to further features that I do not have yet from the books would be how do the Laburec or Alliance adapt or research new ships over time and do they have considerations for people like "Mr. Raven" who advocate or well are military officers who are "Armchair Generals" that attempt to develop new doctrines of war that Admirals at the front would try.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/13/2016, 11:30 pm

At their technology level I doubt ships would use unguided weapons. From a military point they would be (like useless) dead weight. And if they do I guess like nowaday (20 years ago) they would have a self-destruct feature, engaged after a certain time. But yeah the debris however small would still ruin someone's day.

I've noticed some layman shortcomings in understanding HEAT and APFSDS
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-explosive_anti-tank_warhead
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour-Piercing_Fin-Stabilized_Discarding_Sabot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy_penetrator
    Although, they are technically different in design their anti-armor physical effects are as good as the same. I think Tom Clancy's "Armored Cav: A Guided Tour of an Armored Cavalry Regiment" explains that part well. Upon impact the sabot becomes a stream of plasma due to kinetic energy conversion, the same as the one created by the shaped warhead. Both travel at mach 7 at that point. The thing with a penetrator is regardless of design details there's a velocity dependent peak armor piercing performance. Once it's faster the performance decreases e.g. it breaks early or splashed due to reversed hydrodynamic impact force or similar.

Well, we do know the Abh run simulations in order to make plans and strategies just like what the war universities/colleges do.
    Regardless of technology level the tactical ideas of attackers and defenders or attack and counters are universal. It's only the technology dependent applications that differ a bit. For example if you view armor and shield as the same problem to deal with the ideas to attack and counter are the same. If all the ideas are recorded you would be as good as prepared for eternity for all wars to come. You only need to understand and see the similarity, then pull out the file in question and find the ideal solution there to apply anew.
    For example WWI & WWII without radar pilots win with the best eye sight. Today with stealth pilots win with the best IR/UV/visual cameras. Planes used to fly high to avoid ground guns. Stealth aircraft fly high to increase distance to ground radar. There are other point I forgot right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 8/20/2017, 9:07 pm