Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

New Element added

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2413
    Imperial Credits : 13121
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

New Element added

Post by Almael on 7/16/2009, 1:49 pm

Element 112 received the name 'Copernicium' after poland astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus.

Well, it's not really new, but it finally got a name other than the a numeric name. Four other elements still await their name.

In any case the naming is kind of strange as it is not someone from chemistry history.
    From what I understand the name was given because it was discovered in fusion, which obviously connects to stars. Copernicus paved the way for the conncetion of gravity with stars, and hence, expanded the universe beyond the solar system.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2265
    Imperial Credits : 10462
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Re: New Element added

Post by mitsuki lover on 7/17/2009, 2:39 pm

But do they have to be named for chemists?I think Jeffersonium would make an interesting name for an element since Jefferson was always interested in science.Then again I happen to be reading a novel about Jefferson.
    Personally I think Rittenhouseium would be a grand sounding name though a bit bulky to write out for an element.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 7/17/2009, 3:11 pm

Well, there are certain rules
    like these

(i) The names should be short and obviously related to the atomic numbers of the elements.
    (ii) The names should end in 'ium' whether the element was expected to be a metal or otherwise.
    (iii) The symbols for the systematically named elements should consist of three letters.
    (iv) The symbols should be derived directly from the atomic numbers and be visually related to the names as far as possible.However, one rule shall always apply:The person named after shall not be among the living.I think it's for obvious reason why names within a field should be given to people known in the field. In order to honor those, and for simply easy regonition.
    Seriously, with time names for things will grow, and it's just easier to make them easier to remember. If not, you may spend years just learning names but actually don't get to learn what it's about. There would be no progress. Same goes for language. The further we come the more convenient should language become or we will go down under senseless words or gibberish.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2265
    Imperial Credits : 10462
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 7/20/2009, 1:55 pm

I didn't know that about there being rules to naming the elements.Then again I never took Chemistry in school,I took biology instead.And yeah,sooner or later if you don't have rules you end up with gibberish or else something that sounds like it.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 7/21/2009, 9:37 pm

Well, there are always naming rules in any scientific field, but admitedly biology doesn't have much rules.
    As to language, of course I exaggerated, but if you look at translating you will lose some info or spent more time on not important info.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An example scene from the Galactic Encyclpedia about the Terran disaster.

Terran Joe: All celestial objects follow Newtonian laws.
    Alien from super advanced civilization: Newtonian laws? What's that?
    Earthian Joe: You don't know? It determines all motions in the universe.
    Alien to companion: You hear that? We should mine them atom for atom for their knowledge.

Days later the Terran information chaos spread over the galactic network plunging worlds into confussion, fear and terror. This event led to the ban of all contact to the Sol system and the world Terra, which the locals ridiculously call Earth.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 10/20/2017, 1:11 am