Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

What do you play?

tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 6722
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Re: What do you play?

Post by tanis1lionheart on 4/22/2010, 3:53 pm

I used to play MEGATEN, it wasn't bad but I'm not into MMORPGs.

I was one of the first players for the English version of the game, early invite and all, and even then it wasn't bad.

However, it's still an MMORPG, even if it's sort of part of the SMT universe.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2393
    Imperial Credits : 12964
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael on 4/23/2010, 2:32 pm

AlexT wrote:it's Moscow's subway we are talking about which is, in case you haven't heard, one of the largest vaults in the world and was built with such purpose, modified with nuclear war in mind during 70s...
    It got everything - huge air filters, water filters, generators (hell, i heard they got nuclear reactor there underground). Overal length of moscow's subway is 300km and it's just official part since everyone knows there's a lot of "unofficial" facilities, tunels etc. It's like vaults from fallout on steroids Smile
    I heard that rumour. Laughing
    Sure that's a lot for tunnels, but ultimately not much. Compare that to WWII german supply tunnel 50 km away from the fronts or cold war supply tunnel network (don't remember the #). A bunkerbase alone has at least 12 km. If you just take some 10 store house and measure the hallways alone you got already about 500 m. So it may be complex but not much if you consider from-place2place.
    Aside from that, the filtering system has to be huge and they need be replaced at longest every 6 months. The simpler it is the more mass (sand,earth, etc.) need be exchanged. While complicated ones are difficult to replenish.

AlexT wrote:
    They survive by growing mushrooms, breeding pigs and chicken (there's explanation how they got em).
    Have you any idea how thick the air is with all that?

AlexT wrote:"Russian" games actually tend to be more realistic when it comes to firearms compared to other games of same genre. Weapons in both metro and stalker are much, much more realistic than in most shooters where it's all about point and shoot.
    I'm all for realistic, but I think it's bad if it makes game control difficult. The control should be easily made.
    But what i said about fanboys is true, that's why they all buy scopes for ranges which people in the know don't need. Some give them lessons which I don't agree is a good idea. Militia have no dicispline nor have they any responsibility or need to report to anyone. A professional militia is the worst in any war.

Jinto wrote:Hey everyone Very Happy long time no see. How is everyone? I have gotten into a game called megaten where I am a lvl 61 MB (magic bullet) gunner under the name Trife

Welcome back Jinto.
    Well, I don't spent enough time for games. -_-; I would like to, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway, good news for Battletech gamers. Last month Mektek said they were delayed by
    MS. Now http://mektekdev.com/site/index.php it seems alright. You can get a free version of MechWarrior 4 with Mektek 3.1 addon. (still looking for download link) It seems you need to install Mektek's update software.
    I don't play BT much, and have only played MW3 and MechCommnander2 (way primitive control options & bugs compared to RA2) So I'm going to try this out.
    Jinto
    Bene Lodair
    Bene Lodair

Number of posts : 47
    Imperial Credits : 6354

Post by Jinto on 4/25/2010, 9:21 pm

Thanks glad to be back Smile
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/6/2010, 9:12 pm

Almael on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 pm wrote:Too bad we are about to move again, but still, please, stay with us.

---------------------------------------
    update:
    To play MW4 with MekPak 3.1 for free you do need to install their MTX update program client which is a torrent/webbrowser.
    You only select the game within it's window under the available games tab.
    Then it downloads it and auto install it. The installation is just a simple copy/download.
    Btw.
    you must deinstall MW4 if you have it already, otherwise you will get
    conflicting messages from the game. MekTek gives you a complete MW4 +
    MekPak3.1.
    Also delete/move/backup options.ini in the game folder.
    It seems the file needs admin rights which prevents the game from
    setting up a new one.

--------------------------
    Now my quick reviews to BT games:
    MechCommander:
    it's a sprite RTS like CnC RA2, but no saves, bad control options, high
    difficulty level. I tried to play it under Vista, but aside from
    Win95/98 compatibility problems I seem to have an intel graphic driver
    problem, although, I had the newest one installed recently. But I have no problems running the mission editor/creator, which is really weird. (It's sprites! what's the problem?)

MechCommander2: offers all the options missing in MC1, but mission have bugs.
    Full small/simple 3D which is kew, though.
    Unlike MC1 no canon mecha configuration; no electronics components can be equiped.
    No tactics like MC1.

MechWarrior3:
    Simple 3D game at a time when Novalogic F-22 Lightning (v1) got great
    3D engine.... Mecha configuration has no limitation except for weight!
    <3

MW4: 3D on the level of Comanche3, but still looks nice
    and not too bad that I would dismiss. Mecha configuration unreasonably
    limited by hard point. Each allowed only a certain class of weapon, eg
    only laser or only guns at that hard point.
    MW4 MekTek3.1: adjusted/updated engine for modern graphic systems. Mecha configuration limitation lifted for arms.
    Don't see any other differences yet.

The free version is now available for download! Actually it was on weekend but the server crashed due to high demand. Anyway, you it's version 3.1...0020. Check the last 4 digits!
    Other than that it will be several months from now until MekPak 4 comes out. I hope to see some great changes. In any case I recomment you backup everything in the Resource folder every time before updating. They may one day remove the 'unseen' (original anime) mechs again.
    Desgael
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 12
    Imperial Credits : 5664
    Registration date : 2010-01-06

Post by Desgael on 6/3/2010, 1:10 pm

Hello all,
    Read your opinion here regarding this "Metro" game and, being russian myself, decided to have a look. To my surprise, the game appeared to be rather good, although I still dropped it in a day since I don't like games with not that much freedom. ^^;

Out of curiosity, have always been looking for an interesting, but not that time-consuming MMO. Tried and almost instantly dropped stuff like WOW or Aion(boring/time-consuming). And just yesterday stumbled upon this project called "Face of Mankind". Quite interesting, it's sci-fi, with no NPS, and lot's of politic-like stuff going on. Anyone tried it?
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 7570

Post by AlexT on 6/30/2012, 4:27 pm

Most of "class A" MMOs are somewhat time consuming, it's part of the gameplay - you need to kill those mobs, collect those things etc., otherwise how else hardcore PVP ganker like myself gonna get to you? Twisted Evil
    Most mmos are for the people that actually want to spend time. The exception is combat type MMOs where people gather just to fight.
    _______
    By the way, Almael, did you try playing World of tanks? Not sure if you like tanks as much as starships, but it's realistic mechanics and interesting combat made it insanely popular.

I regularely try new MMOs when i can but it seems there wasn't much real progress and most of the titles that looked promising turned out to be just another clone of something already on the market... The recent "top10s" are GuildWars2, SecretWorld, Rift, Tera, Star Wars: The Old Republic... But among these i do wait to see GW2 and Secret World, rest didn't live up to the hype. Tried Tera, liked girls ^_^, otherwise it's standard (maybe a bit more fun combat) and good graphics.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 6/30/2012, 4:50 pm

I haven't played "World of Tanks" but I do like strategy in general and have played "World in Conflict". It was quite good, even though, my computer had problem running it perfectly.

There aren't many tank and space games any more. Now-a-day, everything is so brainless shooting games. Not that I don't like them but I want the others, too.

MMOs are too time consumming for me. The most time I played was war-facts.com due to the randomness of research results each time each game instance.

I don't play often but I do have playing sessions once I start.
    Gaming fever! Laughing
    Desgael
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 12
    Imperial Credits : 5664
    Registration date : 2010-01-06

Post by Desgael on 7/3/2012, 10:50 am

Have to agree, MMO's are just waaay too time consuming. i.e. Face of Mankind I used to play back then - it's hardcore PvP (I'm with AlexT on that one Smile ), no grinding mobs or stuff like that, "experience" is irrelevant, and it's even space-orientied.. and I dropped it nevertheless when it started to take about 2-4 hours of my day. Every day. Smile

Did not really try World of Tanks too, simply since it's nowhere near to Tank simulator, maybe it's just me being weird about that. Thinking about Arma instead, seems to be a hardcore simulator.

By the way, did anyone mention Mount and Blade yet? (Warbands)
    This one I still play, as it doesn't consume too much time and it's quite realistic too.
    That, and old stuff like MOO2 or Dominions, which I will never get tired of. Smile
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 7/3/2012, 11:55 am

Haven't heard of Mount and Blade yet.
    MOO2 is great but it's really too old these days. Too bad MOO5 wasn't good, although, it does good features. Maybe there will be MOO6 someday.

Forgot to mention:
    UC Gundam Online!! Very Happy
    The game is currently the same old but with better maps, fixes, more items, mechas. It has been running for many years and many people don't play anymore, so it's a bit deserted.
    Work on recoding have been going on for a year+. Then work will shieft to items and mechas. So I guess in about two years it will be up to date with other current games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_6MtBMd2W4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7SgDckhv_Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR3UebLguGA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQMt2uVPow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsTuEnoqmmg

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 7570

Post by AlexT on 7/3/2012, 3:32 pm

Desgael wrote:
    Did not really try World of Tanks too, simply since it's nowhere near to Tank simulator, maybe it's just me being weird about that. Thinking about Arma instead, seems to be a hardcore simulator.
    Can't agree here. Actually World of tanks is probably one of the most hardcore tank games and don't let controlls fool you. It's hardcoreness is in physics and mechanics. Each shell you fire actually has it's parameters (caliber, speed, range etc.) plus once it hits the armor - everything is taken into account - armor thickness in that place where it hit exactly, the angle at which armor is hit etc. By making enemy hit your armor under unefficient angles you can avoid tons of damage. All the main and interesting elements of WWII tank warfare are there - speed (on different terrains as well as turning speed) vary depending on terrain, there's realistic (ray trace!) system of visibility (you can use enviroument to reduce chance of detection) and a lot of other fun things. The game is very tactical, there's zero "arcade" in there.

Desgael wrote:By the way, did anyone mention Mount and Blade yet? (Warbands)
    This one I still play, as it doesn't consume too much time and it's quite realistic too.
    Ha, i once fought on most hardcore multiplayer servers among the best Very Happy Wasn't playing for long but returned to it recently. One of the best\realistic sword fencing and archery combat ever
    ____
    Right now i play World of tanks (occasionaly), Mount&blade (same), sometimes continue Dragon Age 2, Skyrim or re-playing MassEffect3 for alternate endings
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 7/7/2012, 1:47 pm

It seems there is also a World of Warplanes in the work.
    All fine and good, but limited to WWI and WWII only. Battling it out the same over and over again on a 2D map will bore me quickly.
    So the WoWarplanes is more alluring to me.
    On the other hand I already had lead my own clan, and rpged ... here I don't see much room for individual or group adventure. Just cruel battlefield, not that I'm not a blood firsty player. Twisted Evil Laughing

Basictly, I'm generally looking for a game with huge freedom ad options to play around.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 7/22/2012, 8:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DIgWjJvlYA
    Mabinogi II is said to have a beta test some time this year. So I would like to try it if possible. It's the next generation game of Mabinogi, which I talked about back then at Abhnation. Of all normal online rpg Mabinogi is my most favorite. Back then it was restricted to asia(Korea) only. Now, it has been expanded to the us, europe and russia. *looks at alex*
    The european service has ended five days ago. Europeans have to play on the us servers. To bad it failed in europe. *shrugs*

However, there are disturbing news about having to chose char. classes and locked genders. If there are such restrictions then I'm not gonna play it. I rather play the original with all its freedom and aging/set death date.
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 207
    Imperial Credits : 7544
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Post by spoor356 on 10/19/2016, 4:03 pm

Time to engage myself in this topic.

Currently I am playing World of Warships, which I am having a blast with. I only offer a cautious recommendation for it, since it does take some getting used to, though the tutorials are good. It does suffer from the traditional ache behind grinding out experience especially for historical vessels. Luckily gold/paid-for ships do not typically outperform their peers (handful of cases they perform worse).

World of Warships feels like the game Star Trek: Online should have evolved to be. I revisited Star Trek: Online after a prolonged break and I find it even more inaccessible now as opposed to before. It's rather troublesome. I'll need to figure out what to do with the goods on my main character, since Vice-Admiral Spoor's older ships really have no place or use anymore in the game.

As an aside, I hope to find a translation of the Seikai games. That would be grand, albeit a fantasy.

Looking for a handful of new stuff to play once grad school is done. I should prepare for my trip to Youmacon.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 12/24/2016, 9:49 am

Since ever I played a bit of "Ragnarok Online" a decade ago I wanted to play a better 3D version of it.
    https://www.techinasia.com/ragnarok-online-review-a-true-classic-hardcore-asian-mmorpg
    Now, it seem I've found it in "Tree of Savior"
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/16/heres-ragnarok-onlines-spiritual-successor-ragnarok-online-2/
    So I will be playing it for a while (from now or starting January) and see how it is.

I haven't followed Mabinogi for many years but it seems to have improved greatly, at least graphic wise. I wonder if I should get into it.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 2/17/2017, 6:59 pm

I haven't played much but it seems there are some big events already.
    'Fan Art Fest: The Art of Loving' Results!
    https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=845
    The Art of Love Fan Art Festival - IP Theft
    https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=848

And now there's the valentine special (14th Feb. - 7th March)
    Gift Cube Rewards
    https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=843
    But you need to be level 50 to do all the quest to get them and the items will be deleted on March 7. Even though leveling is pretty easy in this game I'm still lvl 23. I would have to play like crazy to get my hands on the good items. It's impossible. To get everything the quest has to be done at least 10-20 a day... No wonder people die playing these kind of events.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 3/11/2017, 11:28 am

Oh well, although, I intended to take a peak but I still only clocked 8 hours of playing in 3 months and am still at level 23. I have lots of experience-book-drops which could increase my level rapidly but I'm more of the regular play type and beater and want to sell or use them later. And playing the normal way gives monster drops and equipment at "no cost". People may bitch about beater/cheaters but you cannot discover cheats if you didn't win first and then look in retrospect or the resulting code to find a way to cheat. Hence, beaters win in the first place to begin with. Accusers are just bad loser, have no imagination or would never win regardless.

Anyway, I'm stuck at the 4 or 5th map since reaching level 18. The 5th map has monsters at level 35. The dungeon insert quest is barely doable: too huge & spread on 3 maps. It's hard going solo and having to recover once HP is down to near zero...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 8/17/2017, 1:29 pm