Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

What do you play?

firedragon
    4th class crewman
    4th class crewman

Number of posts : 5
    Imperial Credits : 6275
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Re: What do you play?

Post by firedragon on 4/21/2009, 12:38 pm

Try the mod aotr (Awaking of the rebelion)! Then it's a lot more difficult to play the campaign, which is extremly expanded. in addition the events, which happen after some actions, are very cool. For example to get Thrawn you need to conquer 40 worlds for the imperium.
    Jinto
    Bene Lodair
    Bene Lodair

Number of posts : 47
    Imperial Credits : 6476

Post by Jinto on 4/23/2009, 1:08 am

It was not the fighters that where the problem at all they where the easy thing to deal with. The thing that got me all the time was this weird super sized ship the rebellion got that was wiping out hundreds of my ships of all class types one shot from them wiped out shield and hit point bars on any ship. For example on on map I had got tired of losing so much with those ships that I had ALL of my remaining ships produce ships I ended up with around 300 ships in all in this fleet I sent them ALL to one planet that I knew the enemy had one of those annoying ships and I lost almost all of fleet by the time the battle/war was over but it costed 3 just 3 of those annoying things not counting the normal ships they lost. I dealt with the fighters easily with the anti fighter units I had it was those super ships and their super weapon on steroids that wiped almost all of my 300 ship fleet. because of those I ended up losing the game. They where they most annoying ships on a game I have ever had to fight and try to destroy.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 667
    Imperial Credits : 7782
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv on 4/23/2009, 1:20 am

SSDs or the Eclipse?

Bene Lodair
    Bene Lodair

Post by Jinto on 4/23/2009, 1:30 am

Both I had both SSDs and a Eclipse class ship on the field and as soon as I brought it on the field before I could even try the eclipses main weapon it was destroyed by those dang ships followed closely by my SSDs that I had on the filed then the rest of my fleet lost those 3 before I really had a chance to use them. Annoyed me to no end because it took forever it seemed to build the eclipse calss ship.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/23/2009, 1:42 am

Shhhesh...

Well, I've been trying out demos of Crysis and Farcry 2. Both ended up failing due to some program glitch.
    Might be that I'm running Xp... might be my stock drivers... no telling.

Will say that Crysis looks a lot better than FarCry 2... even on highest settings.
    Not sure I like the controls though... my main complaint with PC shooters has always been there are too many friggen button choices. Console shooters are much easier to pick up and play.

BTW anyone excited for CoD Modern Warfare 2?
    I wish they'd get on to doing "future warfare" and give me some mecha, and railguns to play with. ^_^

Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 113
    Imperial Credits : 6730
    Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post by Schwenkdawg on 4/23/2009, 2:39 am

JGZ

i have already set aside 24-48 hours of my life to play MW2. I will be at the midnight release (if the have one) and then i will go back to my apartment, and play that game for the next day or two. I love CoD 4 and i am really looking forward to where the go from the extremely high standard theyve already given me.

November 10, here we come!

PS: If anyone cares, my gamertag (XBox Live) is WF Schwenkdawg. Send me an invite sometime!
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/23/2009, 2:46 am

When the economy nose dived my funds, I quit buying Live cards but I've got a 1 monther left still.
    Might get a regular subscription back sometime if I can figure out the whole "pick a college, acquire funding,
    survive" bit.

GT is JGZinv (original... I know) if I didn't mention it.
    Know a few good people to play with if we get into it.

Bene Lodair
    Bene Lodair

Post by Jinto on 4/23/2009, 10:59 am

I don't have the xbox game system but if I did I would play the game with you.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/23/2009, 12:30 pm

The new Red Faction demo was just released...

Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/24/2009, 1:53 am

Well so far tonight I've played the Crysis demo, and Sins of a Solar Empire.

SoSE feels like starcraft light.. or something. It's not much more that tech leveling and management.
    I have no sense of accomplishment other than saying this planet is mine now... not yours.
    Kinda.. boring...

Crysis.. pretty game. Nicest bushes and palm trees I've seen to date. The opening trailer for it really
    gave me the impression that I was going to have some cool stuff to try out. As to the actual gameplay, the trailer
    was more of "you're so awesome in your super suit, you can walk in to the enemy camp and lift a jeep, toss it on the hut, kill half the guys inside, the other half comes out, but their bullets bounce off you and you crack their necks while using one of them as a shield."

Well in game I found myself more so just going invisible and sneaking around the whole darn island. Move 30 ft. Drop, recharge, invis, do it again. I unloaded 2 clips into a guy, making sure the first shot was a single round to the head.. and he still didn't drop till I put it in automatic and laid into him. North Korean guys must be made out of some tough stuff.

Invis is interesting and done right I think for what it is. You can walk right by some guys, but others seem to know you're around anyway. Personally, if there's a 200+ pound guy walking through bushes... you're probably going to hear it.

Evidently the plot of the game has something to do with aliens, or something that looks like it came out of Jim Henson's Creature Shop or H. G. Wells War of the Worlds. I was hoping for a little more than that.
    The enemy models, mainly their movements.. are... bad... plain wrong considering the caliber of game this is supposed to be. The either stand around, walk around, or look like a version of Elmur Fudd hunting for wabbits. Just reeeaaly silly to watch a dozen guys hunched over like they are walking on rice paper with gun in hand... while they are supposedly looking for "a noise."

Also tried to play the FarCry 2 demo... it's got major problems with crashing or texture issues.
    Ultimately Crysis was better looking, and had almost identical controls. So I'd rather play it.

*Sigh* Where have all the good games gone.

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2263
    Imperial Credits : 10454
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/24/2009, 11:07 am

lol!
    The only time I tried to play a video game in the post Pong era was in college and I wasn't too good at it.It was around '89 or '90 amd it was
    a version of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.That was the last time I have tried gaming.
    btw:Zinv...when do you get the time to sleep?Or are you a zombie? lol!
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2410
    Imperial Credits : 13112

Post by Almael on 4/24/2009, 1:39 pm

JGZinv wrote:SoSE feels like starcraft light.. or something. It's not much more that tech leveling and management.
    I have no sense of accomplishment other than saying this planet is mine now... not yours.
    Kinda.. boring...
    I think the thing about this game was random tech tree generation or so, but yeah after two games it gets boring.

JGZinv wrote:
    Crysis.. pretty game. Nicest bushes and palm trees I've seen to date. The opening trailer for it really
    was more of "you're so awesome in your super suit, you can walk in to the enemy camp and lift a jeep, toss it on the hut, kill half the guys inside, the other half comes out, but their bullets bounce off you and you crack their necks while using one of them as a shield."
    Laughing Laughing
    you need be a computer to do those.

JGZinv wrote:Well in game I found myself more so just going invisible and sneaking around the whole darn island. Move 30 ft. Drop, recharge, invis, do it again. I unloaded 2 clips into a guy, making sure the first shot was a single round to the head..
    Yes, in this game you can't kill with one headshot. In this kind of game I prefer a handgun but not in Crysis or Timeshift. (And i play on laptop)

JGZinv wrote:
    The enemy models, mainly their movements.. are... bad... plain wrong considering the caliber of game this is supposed to be. The either stand around, walk around, or look like a version of Elmur Fudd hunting for wabbits. Just reeeaaly silly to watch a dozen guys hunched over like they are walking on rice paper with gun in hand... while they are supposedly looking for "a noise."
    They are the jelly version of the predator. Look at their mouth!

JGZinv wrote:
    *Sigh* Where have all the good games gone.
    dunno, I remember any action game of recent times that would have a good story.

Btw. anyone managed to get past the second deck on the vip rescue mission on the aircraft on Veteran level in CoD4? I barely reach the 2nd deck. How can they set the mission to 40-50s?
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/24/2009, 1:40 pm

Well I usually get up around noon and am up till 3 or 5 in the morning. So it evens out somewhat.
    Longest I've been awake was 7 days. Then I slept for 13 hours.

BRRRRAAARIIINNS... *ahem* what was I saying again?

Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/24/2009, 1:45 pm

Almael wrote:Btw. anyone managed to get past the second deck on the vip rescue mission on the aircraft on Veteran level in CoD4? I barely reach the 2nd deck. How can they set the mission to 40-50s?

I think I could if I tried hard... I was pretty good in multiplayer and I've beat all the Halo's on legendary myself, using the slow but steady approach. The Wanted demo was pretty close to that CoD4 level, but it was also a lot more stupid since you could blow the doors off the plane as it was in a nose dive.

I guess no one ever heard of decompression?

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/25/2009, 5:35 am

JGZinv wrote:
    Laughing
    We wouldn't be able to shoot those guns if so. Although, it would be fun to shoot holes and let the enemy be sucked out. Laughing
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 7692

Post by AlexT on 4/25/2009, 6:31 am

This time of ear is very short on new games so i'm just slowly re-playing Mass Effect just to enjoy it's classical sci-fi atmosphere and also playing Age of Conan from time to time (online game) focused on PvP (player vs player) all the time. Though i believe i already killed half of the server for a few times Razz So i guess i'll go back to EVE online after a while - can't live without space Smile
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/25/2009, 1:33 pm

Almael wrote:
    JGZinv wrote:
    Laughing
    We wouldn't be able to shoot those guns if so. Although, it would be fun to shoot holes and let the enemy be sucked out. Laughing

That's exactly what you did in the Wanted game demo, except that then you could walk right by the door without being sucked out too... much less other damage to the plane.

Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 113
    Imperial Credits : 6730
    Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post by Schwenkdawg on 4/25/2009, 6:24 pm

haha the airplane mission is ridiculous on veteran. I try and try and try, and the closest ive made it was literally about 10 feet before you trigger the hostage situation and the timer stops...i then died. I think the strategy is just to flashbang ALOT, and then run thru the enemies while theyre blinded, hoping and praying that your bozo retarded allies can finish em off so they dont shoot you in the back. A few of my friends have done it...i havent managed to do so yet
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/26/2009, 1:34 am

Played the supcom demo... Not quite the uber amazingness I thought it would be.
    But it's sort of a larger form of Starcaft I suppose, more modernized.

It's ok.. wish I had some longer battles so I could make some of the big units.

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/26/2009, 2:07 pm

Anybody played Frontline? How are the drones...any worth or just deadweight toy
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/26/2009, 3:44 pm

I played the beta and mp demo till they died.... problem with drones is that you have to have
    perfect cover and be away from anyone in order to use them. 9 out of 10 times I can run up and cap you
    faster than you can get a drone moving.

Single player the drones are more useful by far, but the SP is a unended story. It's not open for another game per say, it just leaves off.

Usually I found myself just running and gunning with a rocket launcher, and doing most of the control point grabbing while everyone else ran amok. Helicopters is where the fun is at... unlimited ammo and you can darn near avoid getting shot down for a whole match if you're good.

On several occasions I ran all the way to the enemy base, stole their chopper, then laid seige to them at their own spawn point while everyone else finally started to capture the points .

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/27/2009, 1:56 pm

Ya, I thought so, as drone or sniper or flamethrower you need someone backing you.

Btw. I may be wrong but I noticed in recent years in these kind of shooter game the enemy are now throwing grenades as if it's new year. It really appears as if every time one dies at close quarters you got a grenade at your feet and nearly every 5 second they throw one...

As to the MP parts I feel bored always doing more or less the same thing. For some reason I had Team Fortress & Co. in a more vivid memory than these. *scratch*
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 4/27/2009, 2:09 pm

Well I forgot to mention that I rented the full version of Frontlines...

Yeah grenade spamming does seem to be more popular, but I could be accused of that too in games like Halo.
    Mostly I use them for flushing people out, herding them, stickies are best if you're actually going to try killing someone. Call of duty... ehhh I've done many grenade kills, but it's just not the same. Again it's more of a flushing thing to get them to move or pin the enemy.

What I utterly loathe, is team killers and tea baggers. The first more so than the second, but they are close cousins. I've had soo many games, and it seems to be increasing lately, of you pop in a game with your own
    team and you get one guy who team kills. Of course you can't team kill back, because then he can boot you, or
    that just reloads his ammo.

Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 7692

Post by AlexT on 5/19/2009, 3:42 am

I played Frontlines (Fuel of war). But it was like - play quickly and forget. Physics, shooting mechanics etc - not very good. I'd say it's second class FPS, but it gave me a few hours of fun for sure.
    I mostly relied on my superior reflexes and accuracy - drones are too slow for munuvers except for small helicopter. Very Happy

ATM - playing Left 4 Dead. Now this is pure fun, especialy when you play with some friends Smile
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 5/20/2009, 11:54 am

I think I've got Company of Heroes and COD5 now with my rig... guess
    I get to check those out.

Sponsored content